Presidential Scholars Award Competition
The Honors College and the Office of Admissions will host a scholarship competition for incoming freshmen. The Presidential Scholars Award is an in-state tuition scholarship and is renewable. To apply for this scholarship, students must meet the following criteria:
Incoming freshman for Fall 2020
- 3.8 cumulative high school GPA on a 4.0 scale
- 30 ACT composite or 1390 SAT [Evidence-Based Reading and Writing]
- Completed application for admission on file by December 9, 2019 including ACT or SAT test scores and official high school transcript
- Completed application submitted to the Honors College by December 9, 2019
Students who do not have all completed credentials submitted by December 9, 2019 will not be eligible for the competition.
Incoming transfer students are not eligible for this competition.
Selected applicants will interview on campus and participate in activities on Friday, January 31st and Saturday, February 1st. For Fall 2020 admission to BGSU, students may apply now. The Honors College application will be available here in August.
More than a Scholarship
Be an Academic Leader in the Honors College
Presidential Scholars Award (PSA) recipients are students who lead the Honors College and the Honors Learning Community through their work inside and outside of the classroom. In addition to receiving a full in-state tuition scholarship, PSA students also work collaboratively in a cohort with other top scholars to help improve the Honors College during their time at BGSU.
- First year students take a BGSU 1910H together.
- 1 meeting a month.
- Participate in PSA mentorship program.
- 10 hours of community service a semester.
- Leadership in the Honors College (Honors Ambassador, Peer Facilitator, Etc.).
- Participation in interview weekend.
- Participation in 1 committee within PSA (Service, Social, or Personal/Professional Development).
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Remain in good standing within Honors.
Sample Events throughout the Year
- Professional Development Events: Retreats, classes.
- Social Events: painting parties, end of semester gatherings.
- Honors College Events: joining Honors College honor societies or organizations.
PSA Major Specific Opportunities
This scholarship is funded through Michael and Mary Lee McGranaghan. While this receive separate funding, they pariticipate in all activities with the PSA cohort. This is a $5,000 scholarship for a PSA eligible student in the College of Business. One student is selected each year. More information about the scholarship can be found here.
There are up to 30 Presidential Scholars Awards available. Of the 30 scholarship recipients, five students who will major in a science will be honored with the Forsyth Scholarship.
The Forsyth Scholarship honors the life and contributions of Jane Forsyth, one of Ohio’s pre-eminent scientists. Dr. Forsyth was a pioneer in her field. She was recognized as a leading authority on the glacial geology of Ohio and co-authored the first glacial geological map of the state. She taught at Bowling Green State University for 27 years where she studied the interrelationships between geology, botany and ecology long before interdisciplinary research in the sciences was popular.
Each year, Bowling Green State University selects five outstanding science students from the Presidential Scholars Award Competition to receive the Forsyth Scholarship. To be eligible for the Forsyth Scholarship, students must meet the criteria for the Presidential Scholars Award competition and intend to pursue a major in Biology, Chemistry, Geology or Physics. If selected, the recipients will receive a full fee scholarship that is renewable.