Presidential Scholars Award Competition
The Honors College and the Office of Admissions will host a scholarship competition for incoming freshmen. The Presidential Scholars Award is an in-state tuition scholarship and is renewable. To apply for this scholarship, students must meet the following criteria:
Incoming freshman for Fall 2020
- 3.8 cumulative high school GPA on a 4.0 scale
- 30 ACT composite or 1390 SAT [Evidence-Based Reading and Writing]
- Completed application for admission on file by December 9, 2019 including ACT or SAT test scores and official high school transcript
- Completed application submitted to the Honors College by December 9, 2019
Students who do not have all completed credentials submitted by December 9, 2019 will not be eligible for the competition.
Incoming transfer students are not eligible for this competition.
Selected applicants will interview on campus and participate in activities on Friday, January 31st and Saturday, February 1st. To qualify for this scholarship comeplete the BGSU Honors Application by December 9.
Does this Sound Like You?
The Presidential Scholars Award is looking for our next academic leaders in the Honors College. We are looking for students which who:
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity in and out of the classroom
- Have a record of academic excellence
- Are reflective in your writing and thinkin
- Open to new ideas
- Willing to be challenged and engaged in your education
More than a Scholarship
Be an Academic Leader in the Honors College
Presidential Scholars Award (PSA) recipients are students who lead the Honors College and the Honors Learning Community through their work inside and outside of the classroom. In addition to receiving a full in-state tuition scholarship, PSA students also work collaboratively in a cohort with other top scholars to help improve the Honors College during their time at BGSU.
- First year students take a BGSU 1910H together.
- 1 meeting a month.
- Participate in PSA mentorship program.
- 10 hours of community service a semester.
- Leadership in the Honors College (Honors Ambassador, Peer Facilitator, Etc.).
- Participation in interview weekend.
- Participation in 1 committee within PSA (Service, Social, or Personal/Professional Development).
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Remain in good standing within Honors.
Sample Events throughout the Year
- Professional Development Events: Retreats, classes.
- Social Events: painting parties, end of semester gatherings.
- Honors College Events: joining Honors College honor societies or organizations.
PSA Major Specific Opportunities
This scholarship is funded through Michael and Mary Lee McGranaghan. While this receive separate funding, they participate in all activities with the PSA cohort. This is a $5,000 scholarship for a PSA eligible student in the College of Business. One student is selected each year. More information about the scholarship can be found here.
This special recognition is given to scholar students with an outstanding academic record and who plan to major in one of the School of Earth, Environment and Society. The Forsyth Award is awarded to students who receive the Presidential Scholars Award and plan to major in Geology, Environmental Science, Environmental Policy and Analysis, or Geography. Learn more here.