Transfer Student Application
The Honors College provides great opportunities for transfer students at BGSU. Smaller class sizes in Honors courses, ability to work closely with faculty, develop your critical thinking skills and preparing you for life after graduation are a few of the advantages for students in the Honors College.
To be considered for the Honors College all students must submit a complete separate Honors application. The complete application includes GPA, college coursework, extracurricular experience, and an essay. The Honors College application is only available online for students. If you do not have access to a computer, please call the Honors College at 419-372-8504 and we can send you a paper application.
Transfer students must have completed at least one semester at another college or university and are transferring to BGSU. A transfer student wishing to join the program should set up an appointment to meet with the Honors recruiter. You can set up an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are we looking for in an applicant?
Reviewers are looking to get to know you as an application. An ideal honors student will show us their curiosity, passion, motivation, and drive. We look not only for your past accomplishments, but your future potential when joining the Honors College. Outstanding applicants to the Honors College are curious, take risks, display self-motivation and reflection throughout their application. We take a holistic approach to reviewing applications, so there is no GPA and test score which will guarantee you admission to the Honors College, but there is also no GPA and test score which will count you out.
Accepted students typically have:
- A strong academic record.
- Thoughtful essays.
- Exemplify critical thinking and creativity throughout their application.
- Demonstrate interests and passions through activities, community engagement, work, etc.
- Show a commitment to diverse ideas and people.
Each student is evaluated individually, and we consider many factors when deciding if a student could be successful in Honors.
BGSU HONORS TRANSFER APPLICATION
Remember, “[t]his above all – to thine own self be true” (Hamlet 1.3.78)
Transfer Appeal Process
Transfer students who have participated in an Honors program at their previous institution have the ability to appeal classes to count towards BGSU honors credits needed for graduation. These are only for credits towards graduation with Honors, rather than appealing credits with BGSU. If you would like to appeal credits for BGSU email email@example.com
Each appeal will be reviewed by an Honors College staff member to determine if the course meets requirements to fulfill an Honors course. You will receive notification of the decision for your appeal by email. Filling out the appeal form doesn’t guarantee approval. Below are guidelines for the appeal process:
- Students will not be able to transfer in HNRS 2010, HNRS 2020, HNRS 4980, or HNRS 4990.
- Students must have received an A or a B in their Honors courses to transfer as Honors credit.
- Students must submit their appeal in the first semester of attendance to be considered for appeal.
- Before filling out the appeal, the student must meet with their Honors College advisor to put together a plan on how they will earn the remaining Honors credits if their appeal is granted.
- Students will not be able to appeal more than 10 credit hours for Honors.
Note: Students who are transferring from an institution with an existing Honors agreement with BGSU Honors (Owens Community College and Lakeland Community College) do not need to fill out this form.
You can fill out this form and submit the complete form and syllabus to firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated: 04/20/2022 02:24PM