Alumni Laureate Scholarship
The Alumni Laureate Scholarship currently covers the cost of any educational expenses up to the cost of full-time in-state undergraduate tuition, for eight uninterrupted fall and spring semesters, and includes a $1,000 book award each year. Receipt of the scholarship is contingent upon continuously meeting program criteria and expectations as set by the Program Advisor.
The program allows students to take part in leadership workshops, community engagement activities, and meetings with university, community and alumni leaders and volunteers. The ALS program also includes cohort meetings and regular interaction with the Honors College staff and program adviser.
Applicants must be incoming, first-time students enrolled at BGSU who demonstrate a commitment to leadership and community service. Applicants must also:
- 3.5 cumulative high school GPA on a 4.0 scale
- 27 ACT composite or 1280 SAT
- Must be admitted to BGSU and complete a separate Honors College application by Dec. 7 with ACT/SAT test scores and official highschool transcript.
The Honors College application is used to determine acceptance into the Honors College at BGSU. It is also used to determine who will be invited to interview for the Honors Scholarship. If you are eligible for the Alumni Laureate Scholarship and are not selected for an interview, you will be notified via email in December of our scholarship interview decision. Everyone is notified if they are accepted or denied admission into the Honors College.
Qualities of an Alumni Laureate Scholar
The scholarship review board are looking for students who:
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills
- Engage with their community and school
- Show dedication to activities
- Take on leadership roles in involvement
- Have an ability to network with others and communicate with a wide range of people
- Willingness to engage with donors
Multiple finalists will have the opportunity to interview on campus with the selection committee. As many as six recipients will be chosen to enter the program each year.
We look forward to getting to know you to determine if the BGSU Alumni Laureate Scholarship is the right fit for you. Please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
Please note that there is an additional essay within the Honors College application required to be considered for this scholarship.
More than a Scholarship
Being an Alumni Laureate Scholar also means joining a welcoming community of students who are driven to become effective leaders and make the world a better place — just like you. Through your involvement in cooperative service projects and participation in a variety of Alumni events and functions, you'll develop lifelong relationships with your fellow Alumni Laureate Scholars.
More than a full-tuition scholarship, the BGSU Alumni Laureate Scholarship is a distinctive, prestigious program funded by our most generous alumni in order to provide recipients with eight uninterrupted Fall and Spring semesters of support from caring mentors. Mentors who will challenge you to broaden your perspective, prioritize your goals, network with alumni and professional contacts, and frame your success through the values of leadership and service.
- Attend monthly meetings
- 15 hours of community service a semester.
- 1 professional development activity per semester.
- Attendance at mandatory ALS events (approx. 1-2 per month).
- Participation in interview weekend.
- Communication with scholarship donors and alumni board members.
- Participation in 1 committee within ALS (Service, Social, or Stewardship).
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Assist with BGSU One Day
- Remain in good standing within Honors.
Sample Events throughout the Year
- Alumni Events, including volunteering at homecoming and alumni reunions.
- Social Events, to bond with fellow scholars.
- Community Service, organizing community service events within the Honors College.
Updated: 05/11/2022 02:50PM