Geology - 2021-22 Graduate Catalog
Director: Jeff Snyder, School of Earth, Environment and Society
Graduate Coordinator: Kefa Otiso
Address: 190 Overman Hall
Program Web Page: http://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/earth-environment-and-society.html
MS in Geology
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Master's degree, students in the Geology program are expected to be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to explain ideas and concepts in several content areas within the discipline of geology.
- Demonstrate the ability to explain in-depth ideas and concepts in area of specialization.
- Demonstrate the ability to design and conduct an original geoscience research project, with appropriate use of scientific methods, robust sampling, and analytical methodologies.
- Demonstrate the ability to defend and communicate the results and interpretations of an original research project.
Prerequisites to Graduate Work
The MS Geology program welcomes students with undergraduate degrees in geology, geological sciences, Earth science, and similar programs. Because of the highly interdisciplinary nature of the program, we also welcome students from related areas such as geography, computer science, environmental science, biology, chemistry, and physics. Admitted students without a degree in geology will be required to complete additional coursework to demonstrate a minimum competency in geology.
Applicants seeking admission to the graduate programs in the School of Earth, Environment and Society should follow the instructions outlined in the Graduate Admission webpage.
MS Geology (Plan I only)
- An approved degree program of courses
- An acceptable thesis proposal including its successful oral defense before the thesis committee no later than the end of the second semester of full-time residence; and
- Acceptable thesis, including its successful oral defense before the thesis committee.
Please access graduate courses online by clicking the “Browsing Course Catalog” button at http://www.bgsu.edu/registration-records/courses-and-classes/class-course-information.html. Graduate courses offered by the School of Earth, Environment and Society use the prefixes: GEOL and SEES
Updated: 01/26/2023 01:49PM