- FAvailable at Firelands Campus
- FirelandsAvailable at Firelands Campus
Associate of Science
Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Diagnostic Medical Sonographers are highly-skilled professionals who use specialized equipment to create images of structures inside the human body that are used by physicians to make a medical diagnosis. Sonographers have extensive, direct patient contact that may include performing some invasive procedures. They must be able to interact compassionately and effectively with people who range from healthy to critically ill.
Sonographers demonstrate behavior and ethics consistent with standards and ethics of all imaging science professionals. Sonographers are involved in critical thinking skills, clinical decision making and patient education. Featuring a new lab, the program includes curriculum offerings including abdominal sonography extended, Obstetrics and Gynecology Sonography, and Vascular sonography. Students benefit from the small class size and increased attention from each instructor.
Program informational meetings
3:30 p.m., Jan. 23
in George Mylander Hall room 209
- To prepare competent entry-level sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains for Abdominal sonography- extended
- To prepare competent entry-level sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains for Obstetrics and gynecology sonography
- To prepare competent entry-level sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains for Vascular sonography
- Understand the relationship between theoretical and clinical components of the curriculum and apply these principles to proper anatomical part presentation, pathological adjustments required for optimal examination, quality of image, and care for all patient age groups at a rate not less than 74%, as evidenced in student grade and competency records.
- Apply interpersonal skills appropriately to meet the needs of patients in a variety of clinical settings, as documented in directed practice assessment at the level of satisfactory.
- Demonstrate the ability to comprehend, apply and evaluate didactic knowledge and clinical information relative to their role as entry-level general sonographers.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in clinical and scanning skills necessary to fulfill the role of entry-level general sonographer for the general concentration.
- Demonstrate personal behaviors consistent with professional and employer standards and expectations for an entry-level general sonographer.
- Complete the credentialing examination administered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) as documented by the report of registry results to the program. Pass rate to exceed programmatic accreditation standards.
- Demonstrate independent decision making and competent skills performance in the role of primary care provider in a broad range of sonography and intervention services, as determined by an analysis of employer surveys and graduate surveys.
Cara M. Vickery
Director of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Message from the director:
Hello and welcome to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program page. We are a small program dedicated to our student success. We have a new sonography lab and take great pride in our near-100% job placement and credential rates for our students. Success is achievable and we’re with you each step of the way.
- English WRIT 1120
- Mathematics MATH 1220, or 1150, or STAT 2000
- Medical Terminology AHS 3010 or AHTH 1100
- Human Anatomy and Physiology BIOL 3310 AND BIOL 3320 (preferred) or AHTH 1310
- Physics: RADT 1410 (Rad. Tech students) or PHYS 1010 or 2010
The BGSU Firelands College Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Commission on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs: 9355-113th St. N, #7709 Seminole, FL 33775. www.caahep.org
The BGSU DMS program is accredited in Abdominal Sonography – Extended and Obstetrics and Gynecology Sonography.
Updated: 11/16/2023 02:07PM