Jayaraman Sivaguru, Ph.D.
Antonia and Marshall Wilson Professor of Chemistry
Assoc. Director, Center for Photochemical Sciences
412 Physical Sciences Laboratory Building
Joined the faculty in 2017
James A. Meier Jr. Professor, North Dakota State University (2014-2017)
Department of Chemistry, North Dakota State University (2006-2014)
Ph.D. Tulane University (2003)
M.S. Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (1998)
B.S. St. Joesph's College (1996)
Sivagroup’s research interests on light induced processes span the areas of asymmetric photochemistry, organo-photocatalysis, supramolecular photocatalysis, supramolecularphotochemistry, and molecular recognition in chemical and biological systems. Currently hisresearch program is investigating (a) light induced axial to central chiral transfer in atropisomericsystems, (b) atropisomeric templates for asymmetric organo-photocatalysis, (c) supramolecularphotocatalysis with water-soluble nanocontainers, (d) light responsive materials derived frombiomass and (e) light responsive coatings
For a summary of research themes, click here.
Featured Research Cover Art:
Chem. Rev, 2016
- Kumarasamy, E.; Kandappa, S.; Raghunathan, R.; Jockusch, S.; Sivaguru, J.* Realizing Aza Paternò-Büchi reaction” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 7056 –7061. (Frontispiece article).
- Kumarasamy, E; Raghunathan, R.; Jockusch, S.; Sivaguru, J.* Transposed Paternò-Büchi Reaction J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2017, 139, 655–662.
- Kumarasamy, E; Ayitou, A. J. -L.; Vallavoju, N.; Raghunathan, R.; Iyer, A.; Clay, A.; Kandappa, S.; Sivaguru, J.* Tale of Twisted Molecules: Taming Asymmetric phototransformations through non-biaryl atropisomers. Acc. Chem. Res. 2016. 49, 2713−2724.
- Vallavoju, N; Sermadurai, S.; Pemberton, B. C.; Jockusch, S.; Sibi, M. P.; Sivaguru, J.* Insights into the mechanistic aspects of organo-photocatalysis mediated by thioureas. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2016, 55, 5446-5451. (as “important paper” and featured as a frontispiece).
- Ramamurthy, V.; and Sivaguru. J.* “Supramolecular Photochemistry as a Potential Synthetic Tool” Chem. Rev. 2016, 116, 9914−9993.( Photochemistry in synthesis - special Issue; Selected as cover art).
- Kumarasamy, E.; Sibi, M. P.; Sivaguru, J.* Non-biaryl and hetero-biaryl atropisomers: Molecular templates with promise for atropselective chemical transformations", Chem. Rev., 2015, 115, 11239–11300. (DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemrev.5b00136).
- Saravanakumar, R.; Raghunathan, R; Krishnan, R.; Ugrinov, A.; Webster, D.; Sibi, M. P.; Sivaguru, J.* Programmed degradation of oligomeric/polymeric materials derived from renewable bio-sreso’]urces. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed., 2015, 54, 1159-1163. (Featured as Back Cover article in Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.;highlighted in multiple media outlets both nationally and internationally including Science shots)
- Vallavoju, N; Sermadurai, S.; Jockusch, S.; Sibi, M. P.; Sivaguru, J.* Enantioselective organo-photocatalysis mediated by atropisomeric thiourea derivatives. Angew Chem., Int. Ed., 2014, 53, 5604-5608 and Angew. Chem. 2014, 126, 5710-5714.