Involuntary Loss of Insurance Coverage

If you experience an involuntary loss of insurance coverage, you have 30 days to enroll in the BGSU-offered Student Insurance Plan and prevent a break in coverage.

Examples of involuntary loss of insurance include, but are not limited to:

  • Reaching an age where you are no longer eligible for benefits under a parent/guardian's plan
  • Divorce, marriage or death of your parent/guardian or spouse
  • Loss of employment or change in employer benefit eligibility

What we will need from you...

  1. Enrollment application which is available in the Student Insurance Office or by email request.
  2. Letter of creditable coverage from former insurance carrier stating the date coverage was lost.
  3. The pro-rated insurance premium amount will need to be paid in order for your coverage to become effective. A Student Insurance representative will confirm your pro-rated premium and your credit card payment (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) will be made at an online link provided to you by our office.
  4. All documents must be completed and presented to the Student Insurance Office within 30 days of loss of prior coverage.  

**You must be registered for at least 5 credit hours to be eligible for the BGSU-offered Student Insurance Policy.

Please visit the Student Insurance Office for an enrollment application or for more information.