The roots of our ROTC program here are revered. Below is a quick recount of our history and traditions as an officer producing program.
The Army ROTC program was established at Bowling Green State University in the fall of 1948. Colonel William C. Lucas, the first Professor of Military Science and Tactics, enrolled 245 men in the Artillery Reserve Officers Training Corps. The Advanced Course consisted of approximately fifty juniors who were veterans of W.W.II.
The first class was commissioned in 1950 and produced five Regular Army Officers. Niles J. Fulwyler was selected as the cadet Battalion Commander in 1952, 1952 was also the first time commissionees completed the entire four year program. Fulwyler and two cadets received regular Army commissions while thirty-three men received reserve commissions on 30 May 1952. At that time the ROTC band and cadet battalion marched in parades, sponsored military balls featuring well known bands, and visited historical sites.
Artillery tactics and leadership methods were included in the program, in addition to drill practice during common hours. Originally the ROTC program was designed to produce Artillery Officers. In 1955-56, the unit was designated General Military Science and has since produced officers for all branches of the Army.
Bowling Green State University offers the modified General Military Science program as an elective. It is a part of the light fighter Brigade which includes Ohio and Indiana. The cadet Battalion is affiliated with the 148th Infantry Regiment whose motto is "We'll Do It". The motto of the Fighting Falcon Battalion is "Committed to Developing Leadership Excellence".
General officer Falcon alums include MG (R) Fulwyler, MG (R) Sweet, and MG (R) Arwood. General John Abrams also graduated from BGSU.