Faculty Updates on Major Activities, Achievements, and Awards
Drs. Sung Bae and Mingsheng Li were invited to a special seminar titled “Seminar on Automotive Industry in Global Environments” organized by the Center for Research and Postgraduate Studies at Universidad Autόnoma de San Luis Potosí (UASLP) in San Luis, Mexico last November. This was their second visit to UASLP. The invitation was initiated by Dr. Guadalupe Briano, who was a visiting scholar of finance three years ago. Established in 1923 as the first Mexican university to have autonomy granted, UASLP is the largest, oldest, and most comprehensive public university in the state of San Luis Potosí, as well as one of the most important ones in Mexico. Dr. Bae delivered a lecture on the overview of enterprise risk management in global automotive industry, and Dr. Li’s lecture was on the foreign exchange risk and hedging with derivatives. Drs. Bae and Li also discussed with UASLP faculty about ways to further enhance collaboration between BGSU and UALSP.
Professor Roc Starks won the BGSU College of Business Marie R. Hodge Advising Award.
Dr. Liuling Liu won the BGSU College of Business Robert A. Patton Scholarly Achievement Award.
Finance and Insurance & Risk Management Advisory Board Joint Meeting
Members of the Finance Advisory Board and the Insurance & Risk Management Advisory Board held the annual joint board meeting on campus in September 2019.
Finance Advisory Board
Insurance and Risk Management Advisory Board
Members of Finance and IRM Advisory Boards on a tour of the new Robert W. and Patricia A. Maurer Center with Dr. Sung Bae.
Visiting Scholar and New Staff
Financial Management Society Update
FMS had a short, but rather strong semester this fall. Our group hosted three speakers, whose professions ranged throughout the finance world. This includes two North-eastern Ohio Financial Advisors and an Assistant Vice President from 5/3rd Bank. Each and every speaker was also a BGSU alum, who spoke on their time here, what they learned, gained and loved, and how this university has prepared them for the current roles they are in today. Each speaker had very inspirational stories about who they were before coming to college and what has become of them since. In addition, each speaker personally invited FMS members to reach out to them, including their resume and cover letter, if seeking a potential full time or even internship opportunity. All in all, I feel that each student who attended our meetings could take this back with them and help in their self-reflection when they think about who they are and who they would like to become. FMS is excited to get the ball rolling next semester for more great alumni to spread their knowledge and help fellow falcons soar into their careers!
By: Cameron Rufus, FMS President
Gamma Iota Sigma Update
This past semester Gamma Iota Sigma has seen and done many things to help not only the organization grow, but, the members within it as well. This past September four executive members had the opportunity to travel to Dallas, Texas to attend the Gamma Iota Sigma National Conference. This was a phenomenal opportunity to network with other chapters along with professionals in the field, and also learn and expand knowledge about the industry as a whole. In October four members also had the opportunity to travel to Columbus, Ohio to participate in the Mapfre Case Competition where we placed top five in the state. In November we had the opportunity to host the Toledo RIMS chapter meeting and attend as well. This was a great experience as we again got to network with professionals in the field, as well as, some Bowling Green State University Alum. Our organization is continuing to focus on growth, bringing in speakers to every meeting, and working towards an increase in members. We are all excited for this next semester and what it will bring for our organization.
By: Anna Gehring, GIS President
Finance and Insurance students were honored at the annual College of Business Honors and Awards Ceremony that was held on Friday, September 20, 2019.
Finance awarded $24,250 in scholarships for the 2019-2020 school year. Scholarship winners are listed below:
- Avery Dennison Annual Scholarship - Janelle Bollheimer
- John & Deborah Bowen Scholarship - Victoria Deam
- John & Deborah Bowen Rising Junior Award - Michael Houle
- Darwin B. Close Scholarship - No Winner
- Mary Jane Little Dorais Scholarships in Finance - Wade Howell, Sarah Kerr, Chandler Stillings, and Christopher Sullivan
- William H. & Muriel A. Fichthorn Scholarships - Grace Blandin, Corey Frank, Michael Houle, Elise
- Leverenz, and Rodrigue Pierre Andre Vie
- Emery S. Gielow Scholarship - Gabriel Sayer
- J. Warren Hall Scholarships - Jared Hollar and Casey Linkenheld
- Kenneth H. Harger Scholarships - Janelle Bollheimer, Jordan Brackman, Nicholas Buettner, and Tony Gossett
- Key Bank Scholarships - Victoria Iacobelli, Frederic Letourneau
- Bruce and Janet Misamore Scholarships - Zachary Durliat and Cory Foster
- North Star Scholarship - Nicole Manning
- Thomas Pemberton Scholarships - Joseph Lewis and Benjamin Tuttle
- Geoffrey & Linda Radbill Scholarships-Finance - Janae Johnson and Paige Redlin
- Donald L. Speck Scholarships - Matthew Carroll
- John & Inge Bowyer Book Awards - Erica Brickner and Mitchell Hogrefe
- Louis & Adelyne Klein Book Awards - Alexis Noll
- Finance Faculty Book Awards - Benjamin Baldridge, Emilee Davis, Harrison Dean and Connor Ford
Insurance awarded $20,000 in scholarships for the 2019-2020 school year. Scholarship winners are listed below:
- IRMI Charter Member Scholarships - Brady Dunigan, Mitchell Fink, Anna Gehring, Zachary Hoban, Jordan Jensen, Evan Kaufman, Austin Marcinowski, Anthony Mwembia, Collin Reynolds, Grant Tinnerman, Kari Tobak, Allison, Abigail Whaley, and Rachel Wingate
- Geoffrey & Linda Radbill Scholarships-Insurance - Donovan Bland, Amanda Lively, and Ashley Wiedbusch
- RIMS Scholarships - Donovan Bland, Brady Dunigan, Amanda Lively, Austin Marcinowski, Nathan Poiry, Cody Rieman, Kari Tobak, and Ashley Wiedbush
Special thanks to our donors for scholarships, gifts, and other contributions:
Andrew and Kimberly Fichthorn
Avery Dennison Corporation
Brendan and Kimberly Foley
Brown and Brown Insurance
Bruce and Janet Misamore
Charles and Deborah Lynn Schaan
Daniel P. Klein and Linda Bowyer
David Day and Jose Rodrigues
Donald L. and Suzanne Speck
Emery S. Gielow
John and Deborah Bowen
KeyBank of Northwest Ohio
Margaret P. Close
Mary Jane Little Dorais
Matt and Jennifer Wey
Matthew & Jane Garrow
Maureen and Christopher Conroy
Maurice E. Miller, Jr.
Medical Mutual of Ohio
Michael and Julia Mitchell
Michael G. Romanello
Raj and Kausalya Padmaraj
RIMS of Toledo
Robert and Laura Wolverton
Thomas and Cynthia Pemberton
Western & Southern Life
Students and faculty enjoying the 2019 Graduating Senior Reception.