Schmidthorst College of Business announces new CFA Concentration Program
The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Concentration is designed for business students to prepare them to become successful investment professionals with CFA professional designation. The program offers the academic and professional levels of education covering a significant portion of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK). Upon completion of program requirements, students can sit for Level I Exam of the CFA Institute, the first step to become a CFA holder. Based on students’ progress toward the completion of program requirements, students may apply for CFA scholarships which will partially subsidize the registration fee for the CFA Level I Exam.
The CFA Concentration requires students to complete the following one Economics course (3 credits) as part of BSBA Business Core and seven Finance courses (21 credit hours) beyond the general degree requirements for a BSBA degree:
- ECON 3030 (3 credits) Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory
- Required seven Finance Specialization courses (21 credits)
- FIN 3400 (3 credits) Financial Markets
- FIN 3500 (3 credits) Corporate Finance
- FIN 4350 (3 credits) Investment Analysis
- FIN 4130 (3 credits) Personal Financial Planning
- FIN 4360 (3 credits) Portfolio Management
- FIN 4450 (3 credits) Financial Institutions & Risk Management
- FIN 4550 (3 credits) Financial Management with Excel Applications
Faculty Updates on Major Activities, Achievements, and Awards
Drs. Sung Bae and Mingsheng Li were invited to a special seminar titled “Seminar on Automotive Industry in Global Environments” organized by the Center for Research and Postgraduate Studies at Universidad Autόnoma de San Luis Potosí (UASLP) in San Luis, Mexico last November. This was their second visit to UASLP. The invitation was initiated by Dr. Guadalupe Briano, who was a visiting scholar of finance three years ago. Established in 1923 as the first Mexican university to have autonomy granted, UASLP is the largest, oldest, and most comprehensive public university in the state of San Luis Potosí, as well as one of the most important ones in Mexico. Dr. Bae delivered a lecture on the overview of enterprise risk management in global automotive industry, and Dr. Li’s lecture was on the foreign exchange risk and hedging with derivatives. Drs. Bae and Li also discussed with UASLP faculty about ways to further enhance collaboration between BGSU and UALSP.
Professor Roc Starks won the BGSU Schmidthorst College of Business Marie R. Hodge Advising Award.
Faculty Tenure and Promotion
Dr. Liuling Liu was tenured and promoted to Associate Professor in May 2019. Dr. Liu joined BGSU as Assistant Professor in August 2013. She received her Ph.D. in Finance from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and a M.S. in Actuarial Science from the University of Kent in the U.K. Before joining BGSU, she served as a visiting scholar at the Stern School of Business of New York University and Fordham University. Dr. Liu’s area of teaching and research include financial markets and institutions, corporate finance, and international finance. Since joining BGSU, Dr. Liu has published 16 refereed research articles and one book chapter. Of these 16 papers, ten are ranked “A-level” according to the Finance Department’s journal-rating list. Of these ten “A-level” publications, two are in the Financial Times Top 50 journal list, which is now widely adopted by leading business schools as a list of premier journals. Dr. Liu was also the recipient of Leadership Council Faculty Excellence Award in Research and Robert A. Patton Scholarly Achievement Award at BGSU in 2019. Dr. Liu stated that “I count myself very lucky to work in a department with such caring colleagues. The senior faculty have been great mentors and role models to me. They have been working very hard to create active research and teaching environment”.
Dr. Liuling Liu won the BGSU Schmidthorst College of Business Robert A. Patton Scholarly Achievement Award.
Faculty Publications (2019 Year)
- Bae, Sung C., Hyeon Sook Kim, Taek Ho Kwon, Foreign currency borrowing surrounding the global financial crisis: evidence from Korea.” Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, forthcoming.
- Li, M. Does news travel slowly before a market crash? The role of margin traders. Accounting and Finance, forthcoming.
- Li, M. Should Financial Gatekeepers be publicly traded? Journal of Business Ethics(Financial Time Top 50), forthcoming.
- Li, M. The impact of family-CEOs and their demographic characteristics on dividend payouts: evidence from Latin America. Research in International Business and Finance, forthcoming.
- Deli, Y., Delis, M., Hasan, I., & Liu, L. (2019). Bank enforcement actions and the terms of lending. Journal of Banking & Finance, 101, 147-160.
- Francis, B., Hasan, I., Liu, L., & Wang, H. (2019). Senior debt and market discipline: Evidence from bank-to-bank loans. Journal of Banking & Finance, 98, 170-182.
- Renzis, T., Schmiedel, H., Liu, L., Zhang, G., & Zhang, Y. (2019). Retail payments and the real economy. Journal of Financial Stability, 44, 100690.
- Jin, D., Liu, L., Ma, J., Wang, H., & Yin, D. (2019). How have green companies fared in transactions with banks? A stakeholder management perspective. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, 30, 89-107.
Finance and Insurance & Risk Management Advisory Board Joint Meeting
Members of the Finance Advisory Board and the Insurance & Risk Management Advisory Board held the annual joint board meeting on campus in September 2019.
Finance Advisory Board
Insurance and Risk Management Advisory Board
Members of Finance and IRM Advisory Boards on a tour of the new Robert W. and Patricia A. Maurer Center with Dr. Sung Bae.
Visiting Scholar and New Staff
Mr. Hochoon Lee is a visiting scholar of finance since August 2019. He holds B.A. and M.A. degrees in Economics from Korea University in Seoul, Korea. In 2001 he joined the Korea Maritime Institute (KMI) and is now serving as an Associate Research Fellow of maritime industry & safety division in KMI. He has been studying on various subjects in shipping and maritime industry, including database construction in maritime transportation, green logistics and maritime safety. He has participated in various projects including one related to the economic feasibility of LNG-fueled ships in Korea and recently began to study the development of international standards for risk management of autonomous ships. During his stay at BGSU, he plans to conduct a new research project that deals with the impact of IMO Sulphur regulations on the performance and management of shipping companies. His research will involve the comparison of financial performances among shipping companies with the installation of scrubber and with the adoption of Low Sulphur fuel oil.
Ms. Kristin Forman joined the department in July 2019 as the department administrative assistant. She previously worked as a school counselor. She is, “happy to be a part of BGSU.”
Financial Management Society Update
FMS had a short, but rather strong semester this fall. Our group hosted three speakers, whose professions ranged throughout the finance world. This includes two North-eastern Ohio Financial Advisors and an Assistant Vice President from 5/3rd Bank. Each and every speaker was also a BGSU alum, who spoke on their time here, what they learned, gained and loved, and how this university has prepared them for the current roles they are in today. Each speaker had very inspirational stories about who they were before coming to college and what has become of them since. In addition, each speaker personally invited FMS members to reach out to them, including their resume and cover letter, if seeking a potential full time or even internship opportunity. All in all, I feel that each student who attended our meetings could take this back with them and help in their self-reflection when they think about who they are and who they would like to become. FMS is excited to get the ball rolling next semester for more great alumni to spread their knowledge and help fellow falcons soar into their careers!
By: Cameron Rufus, FMS President
Gamma Iota Sigma Update
This past semester Gamma Iota Sigma has seen and done many things to help not only the organization grow, but, the members within it as well. This past September four executive members had the opportunity to travel to Dallas, Texas to attend the Gamma Iota Sigma National Conference. This was a phenomenal opportunity to network with other chapters along with professionals in the field, and also learn and expand knowledge about the industry as a whole. In October four members also had the opportunity to travel to Columbus, Ohio to participate in the Mapfre Case Competition where we placed top five in the state. In November we had the opportunity to host the Toledo RIMS chapter meeting and attend as well. This was a great experience as we again got to network with professionals in the field, as well as, some Bowling Green State University Alum. Our organization is continuing to focus on growth, bringing in speakers to every meeting, and working towards an increase in members. We are all excited for this next semester and what it will bring for our organization.
By: Anna Gehring, GIS President
2019 Top Graduating Senior Honors
The department hosted our annual Graduating Senior Reception on Thursday, May 9, 2019. This event honored all students graduating in Spring 2019, Summer 2019, and Fall 2019. Two alumni, Perry Cabean (’94) and Peter Bahner (’14), joined us for the event to deliver congratulatory messages to the graduates. Two students were awarded the 2019 Top Graduating Senior Honors.
Finance – Nicholas M. Hanby
- Specialized in Finance and Business Analytics
- Interned at Cincinnati Insurance for two semesters
- Worked as a CoB Student Ambassador
- Served as FMS President
- Served on Hall Council as both President and Director of Budget and Finance
- 2017 Finance Case Competition Winner
Insurance – Hervin Singh
- Specialized in Finance and Insurance
- Interned at Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation in NY, NY
- Worked at a BGSU tutor in economics, mathematics, and statistics
- Served as Treasurer for India Student Association
- Served as Vice President of Gamma Iota Sigma
- Served as Treasurer of Alpha Lambda Delta-Phi Eta Sigma
Finance and Insurance students were honored at the annual Schmidthorst College of Business Honors and Awards Ceremony that was held on Friday, September 20, 2019.
Finance awarded $24,250 in scholarships for the 2019-2020 school year. Scholarship winners are listed below:
- Avery Dennison Annual Scholarship - Janelle Bollheimer
- John & Deborah Bowen Scholarship - Victoria Deam
- John & Deborah Bowen Rising Junior Award - Michael Houle
- Darwin B. Close Scholarship - No Winner
- Mary Jane Little Dorais Scholarships in Finance - Wade Howell, Sarah Kerr, Chandler Stillings, and Christopher Sullivan
- William H. & Muriel A. Fichthorn Scholarships - Grace Blandin, Corey Frank, Michael Houle, Elise
- Leverenz, and Rodrigue Pierre Andre Vie
- Emery S. Gielow Scholarship - Gabriel Sayer
- J. Warren Hall Scholarships - Jared Hollar and Casey Linkenheld
- Kenneth H. Harger Scholarships - Janelle Bollheimer, Jordan Brackman, Nicholas Buettner, and Tony Gossett
- Key Bank Scholarships - Victoria Iacobelli, Frederic Letourneau
- Bruce and Janet Misamore Scholarships - Zachary Durliat and Cory Foster
- North Star Scholarship - Nicole Manning
- Thomas Pemberton Scholarships - Joseph Lewis and Benjamin Tuttle
- Geoffrey & Linda Radbill Scholarships-Finance - Janae Johnson and Paige Redlin
- Donald L. Speck Scholarships - Matthew Carroll
- John & Inge Bowyer Book Awards - Erica Brickner and Mitchell Hogrefe
- Louis & Adelyne Klein Book Awards - Alexis Noll
- Finance Faculty Book Awards - Benjamin Baldridge, Emilee Davis, Harrison Dean and Connor Ford
Insurance awarded $20,000 in scholarships for the 2019-2020 school year. Scholarship winners are listed below:
- IRMI Charter Member Scholarships - Brady Dunigan, Mitchell Fink, Anna Gehring, Zachary Hoban, Jordan Jensen, Evan Kaufman, Austin Marcinowski, Anthony Mwembia, Collin Reynolds, Grant Tinnerman, Kari Tobak, Allison, Abigail Whaley, and Rachel Wingate
- Geoffrey & Linda Radbill Scholarships-Insurance - Donovan Bland, Amanda Lively, and Ashley Wiedbusch
- RIMS Scholarships - Donovan Bland, Brady Dunigan, Amanda Lively, Austin Marcinowski, Nathan Poiry, Cody Rieman, Kari Tobak, and Ashley Wiedbush
Student Success Story:
It is our honor to congratulate Bowling Green State University Senior, Caitlyn McNulty, on being selected as an Anita Benedetti Student Involvement Program (ABSIP) Scholar for the Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS) 2020 Annual Conference in Denver, CO. Caitlyn is pursuing a specialization in Risk Management and Insurance and is a valuable contributor to the BGSU program.
A sincere thank you to RIMS for their support. We appreciate all that they are doing to support the next generation of risk management talent.
NEWS & ACTIVITIES
2019 Annual Insurance & Risk Management Institute Symposium
The 2019 Annual Insurance & Risk management Institute (IRMI) Symposium was held on October 10, 2019 in BTSU, followed by reception. The theme of the 2019 Symposium was “Launching Insurance and Risk Management Careers”.
Ms. Heather Lee Allred, Associate Vice President of Risk Management & Insurance, ProMedica, delivered the keynote speech at the Symposium.
The panel featured young alumni: from left, Kyle Lamb, Jessica Mecklenburg, Hannah Decker, Gabrielle Yarbrough, Philip Zitko, and Elizabeth Howard with Professor Roc Starks standing.
At the Annual IRMI Dinner event on the evening of October 10, 2019, IRMI members were recognized for their generous contributions to the program, and scholarship winners were honored. After dinner, student presenters spoke about their internships, and GIS officers spoke about their trip to the National GIS Conference in Dallas, Texas.
Special thanks to our donors for scholarships, gifts, and other contributions:
Andrew and Kimberly Fichthorn
Avery Dennison Corporation
Brendan and Kimberly Foley
Brown and Brown Insurance
Bruce and Janet Misamore
Charles and Deborah Lynn Schaan
Daniel P. Klein and Linda Bowyer
David Day and Jose Rodrigues
Donald L. and Suzanne Speck
Emery S. Gielow
John and Deborah Bowen
KeyBank of Northwest Ohio
Margaret P. Close
Mary Jane Little Dorais
Matt and Jennifer Wey
Matthew & Jane Garrow
Maureen and Christopher Conroy
Maurice E. Miller, Jr.
Medical Mutual of Ohio
Michael and Julia Mitchell
Michael G. Romanello
Raj and Kausalya Padmaraj
RIMS of Toledo
Robert and Laura Wolverton
Thomas and Cynthia Pemberton
Western & Southern Life
Finance Speaker Series
In April the department held the Finance Speaker Series; alumnus Mark Berman J.D. (’74, ’76) was the presenter. Mark advises and conducts training programs for hedge funds, investment managers, issuers, regulators and multi-national banks and brokers in Europe and Asia on SEC practices.
He has written several books regarding SEC regulations outside of the United States. Mark is a member of the Law Society of England & Wales, the New York State Bar and the US Supreme Court Bar.
Students and faculty enjoying the 2019 Graduating Senior Reception.
Students and Professor Roc Starks attended a RIMS Chapter meeting held at BGSU in November 2019.
At All Campus Picnic, September 2019
Dr. Bae addresses the members of the Finance and Insurance & Risk Management Board at their September meeting.