Regarding Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccinations of BGSU Faculty
Memorandum of Understanding
WHEREAS, Bowling Green State University (the “University”) and the Bowling Green State University Faculty Association – AAUP (“BGSU-FA”) (collectively, the “Parties”) have agreed to a Collective Bargaining Agreement (“CBA”) setting the terms and conditions of employment for Bargaining Unit Faculty Members (“BUFM”);
WHEREAS, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), vaccines are proven to be safe and the most effective tool in lowering COVID-19 case levels;
WHEREAS, the University and the BGSU-FA recognize that vaccinated individuals, though they can get COVID-19, are less contagious than unvaccinated individuals and are significantly less likely to be hospitalized or die from the virus;
WHEREAS, the FDA has fully approved the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and the Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, or World Health Organization-approved vaccines are currently acceptable COVID-19 vaccines;
NOW, THEREFORE, the Parties agree as follows:
- As a condition of employment, BUFM, who do not obtain an exemption from the University, shall be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine that has full or emergency use approval by the FDA or the World Health Organization (see list in Exhibit A) by November 29, 2021.
- All BUFM who do not receive an exemption from the University shall provide proof of full vaccination and upload a copy of their proof of vaccination card (or other appropriate medical documentation) to the University’s vendor by November 29, 2021.
- This MOU shall be in effect through June 30, 2024.
- The necessity for COVID-19 booster doses shall be regularly reassessed and determined by the BGSU Chief Health Officer, in consultation with the BGSU Faculty Association and the BGSU Administration.
- BUFM may request an exemption for medical reasons, sincerely held religious beliefs, or reasons of personal conscience. Exemptions must be requested by November 1, 2021. The University will review exemption requests and either grant the request, deny the request, or request additional information. Instructions and forms for requesting an exemption will be available on the University’s website. BUFM who are not vaccinated, even if an exemption is granted, will be subject to testing on up-to a weekly basis and shall be required to wear a face covering at all times while indoors, even if University protocols change, unless such protocols explicitly provide that non-vaccinated individuals are no longer required to wear face coverings indoors.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Parties have caused this Memorandum of Understanding to be made effective this 1st day of September, 2021.
BOWLING GREEN STATE UNIVERSITY
Joe B. Whitehead, Jr.
Provost and Senior Vice President
BOWLING GREEN STATE UNIVERSITY FACULTY ASSOCIATION- AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF UNIVERSITY PROFESSORS
David J. Jackson
Updated: 11/02/2021 08:29AM