Science & Math Education in ACTION
NOTE: The deadline to apply for Fall 2015 has passed. However, applications may still be submitted and will be considered for a wait list if all current openings are filled
Science and Math Education in ACTION at BGSU offers 4-year scholarships and also provides innovative opportunities to prepare the best science and mathematics teachers in the State of Ohio.
If you are a high school senior considering teaching either (a) middle school science and math (grades 4-9), (b) high school science, or (c) high school mathematics, then the ACTION Program may be for you!
Our goal is to increase the number of science and mathematics education graduates and to improve their effectiveness at teaching these subjects. In order to achieve this, the ACTION Program has received Choose Ohio First grant funding from the Ohio Board of Regents to provide:
- Four-year academic scholarships that increase each year
- All-expense paid residential Summer Bridge experience prior to freshman year
- Freshman year science or mathematics group research project
- Sophomore year science or mathematics practicum experience
- Junior and Senior year pedagogical (classroom) research project
Examples of other benefits of the program include:
- Early exposure to hands-on science, mathematics, and education topics
- Research experience at the undergraduate level
- A small “family” atmosphere at a large state university
- Increased marketability to future employers
- Opportunity to live in a residence hall community with other ACTION students
Requirements to apply for the program:
- Admitted to Bowling Green State University
- Minimum cumulative 3.0 High School GPA*
- Recommended minimum composite score of 23 on the ACT*
- Interest in teaching science and/or mathematics in any of the grades 4 through 12
- Ohio resident**
*Most ACTION scholars are well above these minimum requirements.
**As a Choose Ohio First grant program funded by the Ohio Board of Regents, this program is open only to students who live in Ohio and is dependent upon the continuation of state funding.
The ACTION Program enhances BGSU’s nationally recognized teacher education program. Contact the ACTION office for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 419.372.6562.
For more information about the Ohio Board of Regents and their Choose Ohio First programs, visit their website.