Hoskins Global Scholars Program
The Hoskins Global Scholars Program will provide $5000 for up to 3 students per year to participate in a 3-4 week international experience during the Summer, to a country that is not native to the student. One award is available in each of the three categories: Social Sciences and Humanities, Sciences, and Professions. The scholarship will cover transportation costs to and from the study abroad destination; any additional housing/board/tuition costs above that which would be paid if they were staying at BGSU, and financial support to allow the scholar to participate in an immersive academic experience. This enrichment experience is an independent study experience; however the student must be registered for at least 1 credit. Students can consider an international internship, research project, service project or creative activity. The student will identify a full-time faculty member as a mentor for the project, who will receive an additional $2000 honorarium.
Recipients must share their experiences upon return to campus by participating in the Hoskins Global Scholars presentation day and additional formal and informal presentations. This could be an exhibition, a publication, presentation or some other competitive submission.
Applicants who propose the same project for both the Hoskins Global Scholar Program and the Givens Award cannot receive both scholarships, if selected.
Note: A Hoskins proposal for an international experience must be completely separate from a BGSU education abroad trip.
- Full-time student in good standing. Preference given to upper-class students. (Students should return to campus after the semester abroad.)
- GPA minimum of 3.2 GPA and be a member of the Honors College
- A proposal for an international experience of at least 3-4 weeks, during the Winter Session or Summer Semester
- Preference given to non-traditional destinations abroad
- Preference for little or no previous study abroad experience.
Applicants must submit:
- An online application will be available for Summer 2022 soon
- A current resume
- A statement of purpose
- A statement of risk analysis/mitigation
- A recommendation from the faculty member who will serve as mentor and evaluate the enrichment experience
- HSRB approval for research involving human or animal subjects