HNRS 4980: Honors Project Development Checklist
- Meet with your Honors College advisor at least one semester prior to seeking to begin work on your Honors project. During this meeting confirm that all the requirements to graduate with University Honors have been met or are in progress. Discuss possible project ideas and faculty advisors prior to requesting enrollment in HNRS 4980: Project Proposal.
- Initiate your request to enroll in HNRS 4980 by completing this form: HNRS 4980 Form 1
- Your Honors advisor, your primary faculty project advisor, and the Honors College Dean will be sent an approval form. Once each have approved your request to enroll in HNRS 4980, the Honors College will register you for the course.
- Work with your faculty project advisor to establish clear goals at the beginning of the semester. These goals should include a vision for the structure of the final project. Make sure you understand the criterion that faculty will use to evaluate and grade your proposal. You are expected to meet regularly with your Honors and faculty advisors.
- If Institutional Research Board (IRB) approval is needed for your project, it is strongly suggested that you secure that approval during this class, rather than once you enroll in HNRS 4990: The Honors Project.
- Submit an electronic copy of a proposal (introduction, guiding research questions, and a description of the research or project you intend to produce), an annotated bibliography, and a timeline for project completion through this site at: Honors Project Proposal.
- Your primary faculty advisor will submit your final grade through the Faculty Center. Your Honors advisor will confirm you are approved to move on to HNRS 4990: The Honors Project class.
Considerations for those students seeking to take both HNRS 4980 and 4990 in the same semester or those students wishing to use a capstone class within their major as a substitute for these two classes are possible. You must discuss this option with your Honors project advisor to determine the feasibility of this option. It is never too early to discuss this idea with your Honors advisor but having the conversation at least two - three months prior to the start of the project is suggested.
Updated: 07/25/2022 04:50PM