BGSU’s Work Life Balance/Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

For immediate assistance 24/7, call 1-800-227-6007.

For website resources, visit http://www.myimpactsolution.com/. Our account login is BGSU.

IMPACT Solutions Employee Assistance Program offers confidential support for you and your
household members, dependent(s) living away from home, and parents and parents-in-law.

IMPACT Solutions is widely recognized as a leader in employee assistance programs. Through
IMPACT’s program, BGSU full-time faculty and staff have access to a variety of expanded services
including unlimited phone consultation 24 hours a day, as well as legal, financial and identity theft
recovery assistance, and child and elder care referral assistance.

IMPACT’s website has many useful tools, articles, resources, and other interactive features to assist
you and your family with everyday challenges.

Medical Mutual of Ohio 1-800-382-5729



The two medical plan options at BGSU are:

Plan A
Plan B

Certificate/Benefit Book Amendment-Telehealth


The BGSU medical plan options are self-funded, and the claims administrator is Medical Mutual of Ohio. The network of providers under the plan is contracted, maintained and managed by Medical Mutual of Ohio.

Your prescription drug benefit is included as part of your medical plan option. However, the drug benefit plan is administered, managed and maintained by CVS/Caremark.

The cost of coverage under one of the options is shared between you and BGSU. Your per-pay period contributions for covering yourself, your spouse and dependent children (age's birth to end of the month they obtain 26) for medical coverage are deducted from your check on a pre-tax basis.

Contributions by faculty, administrative and classified staff members covering or adding a same-sex domestic partner to medical coverage are paid on an after-tax basis. The value of the health care coverage and dental coverage is considered taxable to you under IRS rules for federal, state and local taxes. The cost of the coverage level for adding the domestic partner minus the “employee only” coverage amount is the amount on which you will be taxed.

The Medical Mutual website offers online tracking and tools: MyHealth Plan website is filled with tools to assist you in knowing your benefits and coverage. At the tip of your fingers you can view your claims and your deductibles, find providers, and print out a temporary ID card in the event you lose yours by going to https://member.medmutual.com

Medical Options Coverage Levels

Your “coverage level” is determined by the family members you cover in your medical option (includes prescription drug coverage). The online system will automatically assign you to the correct coverage level and the price tag associated with that coverage level based on the dependents and their ages you enter online through self-service.

The coverage levels for health care coverage (medical option and prescription coverage) are as follows:

  1. If you are covering a legal spouse and your dependent children are ages birth-26, the
    coverage levels are:
    • Employee only – covers only the employee
    • Employee plus Spouse – covers the employee and the spouse
    • Employee plus Child(ren) – covers the employee and one or more dependent child(ren) under age 26
    • Employee plus Family- covers employee, spouse and dependent children under age 26
  2. If you are adding a same-sex domestic partner, the coverage levels are:
    • Employee plus Domestic Partner – covers the employee and same-sex domestic partner
    • Employee plus Domestic Partner and Family – covers employee, same-sex domestic partner and dependent child(ren) under age 26
CVS/Caremark 1-888-202-1654


Prescription Drug Plan

In the CVS/Caremark website you can:

  • Refill and renew prescriptions
  • Check order status for home delivery
  • View medication alerts
  • Set reminders to take medications
  • Search for potential savings
  • Access drug information

The website for CVS/Caremark, is a private, secure website designed to help you at any time of the day. Your pharmacy information is available to you and kept up to date in real time. You may also contact CVS/Caremark at 1-888-202-1654.

Accessing the CVS/Caremark website allows you to:

  • Locate a network pharmacy and get driving directions
  • Learn more about your prescription drugs

Although BGSU’s Plan A medical and prescription plans are considered “grandfathered plans,” and not subject to covering all the provisions of the ACA’s Women’s Preventive Care Act, effective January 1, 2014, generic oral contraceptives are covered at no cost to you only when dispensed from the following pharmacies:

  • Falcon Health Center Pharmacy
  • CVS/Caremark Home Delivery

For maintenance medications prescribed for a 90-day supply, these can be dispensed in three different locations under the  CVS/Caremark Plan.

  • Falcon Health Center Pharmacy
  • CVS/Caremark Home Delivery
  • CVS Pharmacy (any location)

Preferred Drug List/Formulary

Like other prescription benefit managers, CVS/Caremark Preferred Drug List of brand-name drugs changes based on changes occurring in the prescription drug industry (e.g., brand-name drugs going to generic, brands going over-the-counter, therapeutic review). Instead of being updated quarterly, CVS/Caremarks’ brand name drug list is updated semiannually.

What are ‘preferred’ and ‘non-preferred’ medications?

  • Preferred (or formulary) medications are on the Preferred Drug List/Formulary, and you have a lower co-insurance cost than for non-preferred medications. This list of drugs is determined based on the advice of pharmacists and a group of independent doctors.
  • Non-preferred (or non-formulary) medications are not on your list of preferred drugs, and your coinsurance cost is higher.

We encourage you to take the Preferred Drug List with you to your physician to discuss your prescription choices.

If you are taking a brand-name drug that is not listed on the Preferred Drug List, talk with your physician to determine if a generic is available or a preferred list brand-name drug is an appropriate alternative to your current drug. There may not always be an alternative drug available, or your physician may decide that you should stay on your current drug for medical reasons.

Your prescription drug benefit coverage is bundled with your medical option.

Delta Dental 1-800-524-0149


Dental Plan

Delta Dental is BGSU’s dental provider. There is one dental option and it is not tied to the medical
option. Therefore, you can elect to participate or not to participate in the dental plan. In addition, your
dental coverage level can be different from your medical coverage level. Your premium sharing is
20%, with BGSU’s share 80% regardless of your coverage level.

Dental Coverage Levels:

Dependent child eligibility for dental is different from that for medical eligibility; therefore, the dental
coverage levels are different. Dependent children are eligible for coverage until the end of the
calendar year in which they turn 24.

Coverage levels for dental are:

  • Employee only – covers only the employee
  • Employee plus Spouse –covers the employee and the spouse
  • Employee plus Same-Sex Domestic Partner – covers the employee and the same-sex domestic partner
  • Employee plus Child(ren) – covers the employee and one or more dental-eligible dependent child(ren)
  • Employee plus Family - covers employee, spouse and eligible dependent child(ren)
  • Employee plus Same-Sex Domestic Partner and Family - covers employee, same-sex domestic partner and eligible dependent child(ren)

Print Your Delta Dental lD Card Online

If you would like a card to present to your dentist, you may print one from Delta Dental's website.
Once you are enrolled in the dental plan, visit: http://www.deltadentaloh.com/ and click on the
Consumer Toolkit. Complete the login process and click on “Print ID Card.”

FlexSave 1-800-525-9252


Health Care Reimbursement Account

When you sign up for a Health Care Reimbursement Account, you put money aside on a pre-tax
basis for out-of-pocket expenses for you and your eligible dependents—even if those dependents are
not covered under the BGSU medical plan or dental plan. This account can be used for prescription
drugs, medical, dental and vision service expenses that are not covered or paid in full by your plan for
you and your eligible dependents, for tax purposes.

Full-time employees hired within a calendar year are eligible to participate the first day of the month
following their date of hire (or other qualifying event such as a marriage) for the remainder of the
current calendar year.

If you are hired during the calendar year, and elect one or both of the spending accounts, you will
need to choose the amount that you wish to have taken out, from the first of the month that coverage
begins through the end of that calendar year. For example, if your coverage begins June 1 and you
elect to contribute $700 to the health care reimbursement account, the deduction will be $100 per
month from June through December, if you are paid on a monthly basis.

Dependents include:
  • Your spouse
  • Your or your spouse’s unmarried children, stepchildren, children placed for adoption, legally adopted
    children, children for whom either you or your spouse is the Legal Guardian or Custodian or any
    children who, by court order, must be provided health care coverage by you or your spouse.

To be considered Eligible Children Dependents, dependents must not attain age 27 during the tax year. In addition, dependents must have the same principal place of residence as you for more than half the year (temporary absences for school, summers abroad, etc., are okay) and they must receive over half of their support during the calendar year from you unless coverage is being provided under court order.

  • As of January 1, 2011, over-the-counter (OTC) medicines can only be eligible for reimbursement
    through the Health Care Spending Account if the reimbursement request is accompanied by a
    doctor’s prescription. Please take that into consideration as you plan your Health Care
    Reimbursement Account for the benefit plan calendar year.
  • Expenses incurred by Young Adult Children (who are also qualified dependents) are eligible to be
    reimbursed by your Health Care Reimbursement Account.
  • Expenses incurred by a same-sex domestic partner (non-qualified dependent) are not eligible to be
    submitted to your Health Care Reimbursement Account.
  • If you are covering a same-sex domestic partner or an Older Adult Child, you must waive out of the
    automatic rollover of health claims from Medical Mutual to your Health Care Reimbursement Account.
    You will need to submit requests for reimbursement manually with a completed claim form.
Automatic rollover of health claims

If you are participating in the Health Care Reimbursement Account and in one of the two BGSU
medical options, as your medical claims are processed by Medical Mutual of Ohio, any patient
responsibility will automatically roll to your Health Care Reimbursement Account. This eliminates the
need to file claims a second time with FlexSave.

  • By electing to have all claims automatically roll to your Health Care Reimbursement Account, you
    are substantiating that all expenses submitted are not covered by any other insurance plan.
  • If you have secondary health coverage or are using your Health Care Reimbursement Account for
    reimbursement of specific out-of-pocket expenses, you must elect to waive the automatic rollover and
    submit claims directly as needed throughout the year.
  • If you DO NOT have Medical Mutual health insurance coverage, submitting the waiver form is not
    necessary. There will be no claims information exchanged since your insurance is with a different
    carrier, and you will submit claims directly as needed throughout the year.

All employees participating in medical options A and B (with Medical Mutual of Ohio as the
administrator) and the FlexSave Health Care Reimbursement Account will be deemed to have
chosen automatic rollover unless an automatic rollover waiver form is completed. If you do not wish
to participate in the rollover program, you must complete the waiver form included in the

FlexSave Welcome Kit sent to you. In order to stop the automatic rollover program,
complete the waiver form and return to FlexSave as soon as possible. If you have submitted a waiver
form in the past, you will continue to be waived out of the automatic rollover.

Filing a claim

The Internal Revenue Service requires that benefits from any other health care coverage must be
paid prior to payment from your reimbursement account. For instance, if you have dental coverage
through Bowling Green State University and your spouse’s employer, you must file any dental
expenses incurred with both plans before filing for reimbursement under your reimbursement
account. You will be required to provide proof that the other plan(s) has considered the expenses in
question by submitting copies of the payment or explanation of benefits worksheet.

You will be reimbursed for eligible expenses up to the maximum amount you have elected. The total
amount you choose to deposit in the Health Care Reimbursement Account during the Plan Year is
available anytime during the year. Remember, you must enroll each year (now by self-service online)
into reimbursement accounts.

Direct deposit

You may have reimbursements directly deposited into your designated bank account. The bank
account you designate will be used for all FlexSave benefits. If you have completed the FlexSave
direct deposit form in the past, you will not need to re-submit this information.

You must re-enroll in the Health Care Reimbursement Account each year.
Enrollment into the
Health Care Reimbursement Account is completed online through Self-Service: You will be asked to
indicate the annual amount (the total amount you want to save over 12 months) that you want to set

Dependent Care Reimbursement Account

By signing up for a Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, you save money on a pre-tax basis to
be reimbursed for what you pay toward child/dependent care (summer camps, day care, after-school
programs, etc.) for children up to age 13. You may also use this account for day care provided to your
dependent spouse/parents. You (and your spouse, if married) need to be working to enroll in this

Full-time employees hired within a calendar year are eligible to participate the first day of the month
following their date of hire (or other qualifying event such as marriage) for the remainder of the
benefit plan calendar year.

You can use the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account for work-related eligible child-care and
elder-care expenses. To qualify, you (if single) or you and your spouse (if married) must be at work,
looking for work, or attending school full time when your dependent(s) receives care. Eligible
expenses under the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account are those that could otherwise be
claimed for the Dependent Care Tax Credit on your federal income tax. Eligible services must be for a
dependent child who is under 13 years of age or a dependent who is disabled and unable to care for
him- or herself and qualifies as your tax dependent.

The Dependent Care Account can be used to reimburse expenses such as:

  • Licensed nursery schools and child-care centers
  • Work-related babysitting (in or out of your home)
  • Home-care specialist for disabled dependents
  • Housekeepers in your home, provided their work includes caring for your children or elders

The maximum amount you are eligible to contribute for the benefit plan calendar year, may not exceed:

  • $5,000 if you and your spouse file joint IRS tax returns**
  • $2,500 if you and your spouse file separate tax returns**

  • Both a husband and wife, regardless if they are BGSU employees or not, may participate in the
    Dependent Care Reimbursement Account as separate individuals; however, they cannot exceed the
    $5,000 IRS maximum per family.

Services for dependent care can be paid through the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account or
claimed as a credit on your federal tax return, but not both. You may want to consider which method
makes the best economic sense. If you are unsure of which method to use, you may want to consult
your tax adviser.

You must re-enroll in the Dependent Reimbursement Account each year. Enrollment into the
Dependent Reimbursement Account is completed online through self-service. You will be asked for
the annual amount (the total amount you want to save over 12 months) that you want to set aside.

Plan carefully when enrolling into reimbursement accounts

If you are thinking about enrolling in one or both of the reimbursement accounts, the following Internal
Revenue Service regulations are important to know. Once you decide to participate in one or both of
the accounts, your decision will remain in effect through the end of the benefit plan calendar year.

Important dates and deadlines for plan year:

  • Enrollment into the Flexible Reimbursement Account(s) is for one year and ends at the end of the benefit
    plan calendar year (December 31).
  • You must re-enroll in the reimbursement account(s) during Open Enrollment to participate in
    it for the next plan year.
  • Estimate your expenses for benefit plan calendar year (expenses must be incurred during this time period).
  • Remember you have 90 days following December 31st of the plan year, to file your claims for the January 1,
    2016, through December 31, 2016, plan year Reimbursement forms must be received by FlexSave
    in their office by the 90-day deadline. Please submit accordingly.
  • If you resign in the plan year, you will remain covered only for the period for which contributions have been
    paid prior to your termination of employment. You have 90 days from the coverage ending date to file
    a claim, or unclaimed balances will be forfeited.
  • If you retire in the plan year you can only submit claims for reimbursement from January 1st through
    the end of your benefit eligibility period. You have 90 days from the coverage ending date to file
    a claim, or unclaimed balances will be forfeited.
  • You may change your payroll deduction amount for your reimbursement accounts during the year
    only if you have a qualified change in family status. A qualified change in status is defined as
    marriage, birth or adoption, death, divorce or change in your own or your spouse’s employment
    status. If one of these events occurs, you may change your election by sending an email with this
    request to the Office of Human Resources (ohr@bgsu.edu) within 30 days of the event.

    Any claims submitted after or received by FlexSave after the claim-filing deadline will not be
    reimbursed. Please plan accordingly to have all claims faxed and or mailed and received by
    FlexSave by the deadline.

Plan Carryover Provision  

The plan has a carryover provision allowing the Health Care Spending Account to carryover up to $500 of any amount remaining unused as of the end of the plan year.  Such carryover amount may be used to pay or reimburse medical expenses under the Health Care Spending Account incurred during the entire plan year to which it is carried over.

Administrative procedures

The amount you elect to deposit into one or both accounts will be spread equally over all of your
pay periods for the benefit plan calendar year
(this excludes summer class teaching, sick leave and vacation payouts). However, any stipend or overload payments paid after the academic year on your academic year record will have reimbursement account deductions taken, and in subsequent pay periods the amount deducted will be decreased accordingly. Starting with your
January pay(s), the amount will be deducted from your paycheck before taxes and then deposited into your reimbursement account.

NOTE: If you do not receive pay for one or more of your scheduled pay periods or during a
month of the year and you elected to be in one or both of the reimbursement accounts, the
amount deducted for your account(s) will be increased in subsequent periods in order to
achieve your annual Plan Year deferral election, as required by law.

PNC Bank 1-844-356-9993
  • To create your Health Savings Account (HSA) Click HERE
  • After creating your HSA log in HERE

Health Savings Account Change Form

For a list of IRS approved expenses, please refer to IRS Publications 969 and 502. Keep in mind the IRS may allow or disallow any expense because of circumstances involved. Every time you use your HSA, save your receipts in case the IRS asks you to prove that your claim was for an approved qualified expense. If you use HSA funds for a nonqualified expense, you'll have to pay taxes and a penalty on the ineligible amount.

If you used any money from your HSA account in the prior year, you will receive a 1099-SA form from PNC bank, to help complete the IRS form 8889. If you have not received your 1099-SA from PNC bank, you can obtain this electronically by logging into your PNC account, then under tax forms.

Minnesota Life 1-866-293-6047


Financial Security

Forecasting future financial needs can be most challenging. Whether you are trying to ensure that
your family is provided for in the event that the unexpected happens, or you are attempting to build for
your retirement, it is important to understand what is available for you here at BGSU.

Basic Life Insurance

BGSU offers basic life insurance coverage through Minnesota Life, including an accidental death and
dismemberment benefit to all full-time faculty, administrative and classified staff.

For classified staff, the basic coverage provided by BGSU is $50,000,

For faculty and administrative staff, the basic life insurance coverage provided to you by BGSU is
equal to one and one-half times your rate of pay, not to exceed $125,000 rounded up to the next
higher $1,000.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires that employees be taxed on the value of the employer paid
group life insurance coverage exceeding $50,000, which is known as “imputed income.” This
means that for life insurance coverage that exceeds $50,000 per year, the tax you owe on the value
of the coverage that exceeds $50,000 is reported to the IRS in Box 12 of your year-end W-2 form.
The tax is based upon age brackets based on your age on the last day of that calendar year and will
increase in five-year increments as you grow older.

Optional Life Insurance for You

As a new hire you may enroll in Optional Life Insurance the first day of the month following hire.
During Open Enrollment, employees have an opportunity to elect or increase the amount of optional
life insurance.

You can enroll up to 5 times your annualized earnings, not to exceed $300,000. (Annualized salary is
your base salary as of September 1, and does not include stipends or other earnings you may be

If you do not currently have optional life coverage and wish to enroll, you will be required to provide
evidence of insurability.

If you currently have optional life coverage, you will be able to increase it by one level without
providing evidence of insurability as long as the level is not in excess of the guaranteed amount
based on your age or salary. If your elected amount is above the guaranteed issue amount, you will
be directed to submit evidence of insurability.

Evidence of Insurability

Evidence of Insurability, commonly referred to EOI, requires you as the faculty, administrative or
classified staff member to provide more information in order for Minnesota Life (for optional life
insurance) and/or Unum (for long-term disability coverage) to determine acceptance for insurance. If
you are required to submit an EOI, you must complete the appropriate form and submit it to the Office
of Human Resources by the Open Enrollment deadline.

Age Reduction Clause: The amount of employees’ basic life insurance and accidental death and
dismemberment insurance coverage has an age-reduction provision that results in the employee’s
coverage reducing by 50% when he or she reaches age 70. For example, if your life insurance
coverage is $50,000, the amount paid to your beneficiary would be one-half of the covered amount
(half of $50,000 = $25,000).

Dependent Life Insurance for your spouse and child(ren)

BGSU offers life insurance on your dependents on a voluntary basis, as a new hire and/or during the
annual Open Enrollment. This coverage is designed to help ease the economic consequences in the
event of a dependent’s fatal illness or sudden death. During Open Enrollment, if you do not currently
have dependent life insurance and wish to enroll, your dependent(s) will be required to provide
evidence of insurability. The coverage amounts of the policy are as follows:

  • Spouse and Same-Sex Domestic Partner - $10,000
  • Child age 15 days to 6 months - $500
  • Child age 6 months to age 21 - $5,000.

The monthly cost is $2 regardless of the number of dependents. Your per-pay-period amount will
show on your online enrollment.

If you are not currently enrolled, and elect coverage during Open Enrollment, in order to be approved
by Minnesota Life, you will need to submit evidence of insurability for each dependent you wish to cover.

Once your child reaches 21 years of age, it is your responsibility to notify the Office of Human Resources to drop your child from coverage.

Take advantage of your LifeSuite Services

The following programs and resources are available to all employees insured under the Minnesota
Life group life insurance program, their spouses and dependent children. No additional premium or
enrollment is required. Just access these resources as you need them.

  • Travel Assistance Services – Global Rescue provides travel assistance services to all active U.S.
    employees covered under the group life insurance program and their spouses and dependents. The
    services are available 24/7/365 for emergency assistance and transport services when traveling 100
    or more miles away from home. Visit LifeBenefits.com/travel or call 1-855-516-5433 in the U.S. and
    Canada. From other locations, you can call collect to +1-617-426-6603.
  • Legal Services – Ceridian provides employees and their dependents telephone access to a
    national network of 22,000+ accredited attorneys for consultation on simple wills, estate planning
    documents and other legal issues. Discounts are available for participating attorneys. Contact
    Ceridian at 1-877-849-6034 or visit LifeWorks.com (user name: will password: preparation).
  • Legacy Planning Services – Active and retired employees, spouses and dependents can access
    resources designed to help individuals and families work through end-of-life issues when dealing with
    the loss of a loved one or planning for their own passing. These resources are available at
  • Beneficiary Financial Counseling – Beneficiaries who receive at least $25,000 in policy benefits
    may choose to use independent beneficiary counseling services from PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.
UNUM 1-800-421-0344


Long-Term Disability

This benefit is designed to provide a portion of your income when an extended injury or illness has occurred and prevents you from working. The amount of benefit you receive is based on your salary earned before your disability began.

The program has a waiting period of one year of continuous active employment. The elimination period defines the time prior to when benefits begins and is the later of

  • 180 days or
  • the date your accumulated sick leave payments end if applicable.

If you did not elect this option during the last Open Enrollment or upon hire, you can do so during the annual Open Enrollment period. However, in order to be considered by Unum, you will need to submit evidence of insurability.

Faculty and Administrative Staff:

Full-Time bargaining unit faculty, faculty administrators and administrative staff are provided this benefit. The benefit is 60% of your monthly salary, not to exceed $3,000 a month.

Full-Time Classified Staff:

Full-Time classified staff may purchase this benefit. The benefit is 60% of your monthly salary, not to exceed $5,000 a month.



To sign up for one of the Alfac voluntary plans contact our representative at 419-873-6001 option 2.

For all other assistance such as filing a claim, plan questions, please contact 1-800-433-3036.

Administrative Staff
Classified Staff

Note:  All newly eligible full-time faculty and staff must complete the Retirement Plan Election form (HERE).  This form must be received by Human Resources within 120 days from the date of eligibility.  If this is not received by the 120th day, faculty members will default into the State Teacher’s Retirement System and staff members will default into the Ohio Public Employee Retirement System.

A life change event in terms of your benefits means, you can make a mid-year change to your current benefits without having to wait for open enrollment. Within 30 days of experiencing a qualifying life event, you may be eligible to make changes to your benefits.

The following qualified life events are listed below, these documents will help you walk through the process of how to make changes to your current benefits, as well as what documents are required.

Life Events Overview - Video
Life Events - Marriage

Life Events - Divorce
Life Events - Death of a Dependent
Life Events - Change in Coverage
Live Events - Birth
Live Events - Adoption

The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) of 1985 is a Federal law that requires most employers sponsoring Health Care plans to offer employees and their dependents the opportunity for a temporary extension of health coverage under the employer's plan in instances where coverage under the plan might otherwise end.

If you are a BGSU employee covered by the University's Health Care Program, you have a right to choose continued coverage if you lose your health coverage because of a change in your classification or termination of employment (for reasons other than gross misconduct).

If you are the spouse of an employee covered by the Health Care Program, you have a right to choose continued coverage for yourself if you lose health coverage under the Program due to the following qualifying events:

  • The death of your spouse;
  • A termination of your spouse's employment (for reasons other than gross misconduct) or reduction in your spouse's hours of employment;
  • Divorce or legal separation from your spouse; or
  • Your spouse becomes entitled to Medicare.

In the case of a dependent child of an employee covered by the Health Care Program, he/she has the right to continuation of coverage if coverage under the Program is lost for any of the following reasons:

  • The death of an employee-parent;
  • The termination of parent's employment (for reasons other than gross misconduct) or reduction in a parent's hours of employment;
  • Parent's divorce or legal separation;
  • A parent becomes entitled to Medicare; or
  • The dependent ceases to qualify for coverage as a "dependent child."

Under the law, you or a family member have the responsibility to inform BGSU of a divorce, legal separation or a child losing dependent status under the plan within 60 days of the event happening. If notice is not received within that 60-day period, your dependent will not be entitled to choose continuation of coverage.

When BGSU is notified of one of these events, you will be notified in writing that you have the right to choose continuation coverage, from Chard Snyder. You have 60 days to choose or reject continuation coverage and then an additional 45 days to pay your first premium. It is your responsibility to notify the Benefits Office and provide a current address.

You have 60 days from the later of:

  • The date you would lose coverage; or
  • The date you receive notice from BGSU of your continuation coverage rights because of one of the events described above.

If you do not choose to continue coverage, your health coverage ends.

If you choose continuation of coverage, BGSU is required to give you coverage which, as of the coverage is provided, is identical to the coverage provided under the Plan to similarly situated employees or family members. You may elect to maintain continuation coverage for three years unless you lose your medical coverage because of termination of employment or reduction in hours. In that case, the required continuation coverage period is 18 months. If during that 18-month period, another event takes place that would also entitle your spouse or dependent child to continuation coverage, the coverage may be extended to a total of 36 months from the original qualifying event. This provision applies to a dependent other than a spouse or child who became covered after continuation coverage became effective. Your spouse or dependent child can elect to continue the coverage for 36 months from the date of the qualifying event due to your becoming entitled to Medicare.

If you or your covered dependent are disabled, as defined under Social Security law, at the time of your termination of employment or reduction in hours, and you provide notice of this finding to the Benefits Office within 18 months of your termination of employment or reduction in hours, you may extend the continuation coverage to a total of 29 months. The additional 11 months of continuation coverage will, however, be at a higher contribution. In no case will any period of continuation coverage be more than 36 months. The law, however, also provides that your continuation coverage may be terminated before the end of the continuation period (i.e., 18, 29, or 36 months) for any of the following reasons:

  • BGSU no longer provides health coverage to any of its employees;
  • The contribution for your continuation coverage is not paid in a timely fashion;
  • You become covered under another plan, unless the new plan excludes coverage for a pre-existing condition which you, your spouse or dependent child has;
  • You become entitled to Medicare; or
  • Your disability ends if the disability occurred while covered under COBRA.

You do not have to show that you are in good health to choose continuation coverage. You will, however, have to pay the full contribution amount for your continuation coverage. The contribution for the additional 11 months of coverage, if you are found disabled under the Social Security law, will be 150% of the regular continuation contribution. You have a grace period of at least 45 days to pay any retroactive contribution for the period from the date continuation coverage starts to the date you chose continuation coverage; and you have a grace period of at least 30 days to pay any subsequent premiums.