Trustees green light Moseley redevelopment, student fees, new degree program
The BGSU Board of Trustees at its May 9 meeting gave the go-ahead to an important part of the transformation of the Academic Core identified in the Campus Master Plan. Moseley Hall, BGSU’s original science and agriculture building, will be restored to its original role — although in a form that would probably be unrecognizable to Dr. Edwin Moseley for whom it was named, and without the agricultural component
Built in 1916, the building has been used for general classroom space since the Life Sciences Building was completed in the late 1960s. With the trustees’ approval, Moseley will now be renovated and outfitted with the latest in classroom technology and instructional lab space for the STEM disciplines, including science, technology, and mathematics.
The $23 million project approved by the trustees will provide interdisciplinary active-learning classrooms along with teaching labs for medical technology, biology, anatomy and physiology, and chemistry. Flexibility is a key concept in its planning to allow for maximal use. The majority of the funding for the building’s redevelopment will come from state capital funds. The board had already approved initial pre-construction costs for the project.