Law Enforcement

Any students, staff or faculty who are survivors of sexual violence, harassment, assault or stalking are encouraged to report the incident(s) to law enforcement.

To report an assault or other crime to the Bowling Green State University Police (non-emergency), please call 419-372-2346

Non-emergency contact information for other local police agencies include:

Bowling Green State University – Main Campus

  • City of Bowling Green Police, (419) 352-2571;
  • Wood County Sherriff’s Department, (419) 354-9137;

Firelands Campus

  • Firelands Campus Switchboard Operator, (419) 433-5560;
  • Erie County Sherriff’s Department, (419) 625-7951.

In case of an emergency, please dial 9-1-1.

Choosing to report an assault to the BGSU University police or other law enforcement agencies does not require filling criminal charges. However, it does allow support systems to be put into place to aid the survivor.

It is best if reporting is done as soon as possible after the assault occurs, but it may be done at any point. Students, staff and faculty who decide to notify law enforcement should be aware of the urgency of reporting the incident and the importance of preserving the physical evidence at the scene of the incident as well as on the person who was harmed. If the victim chooses to report the assault days, weeks or even months after the assault, support systems are still available but criminal investigations become more difficult.

Sexual assaults for which individuals seek medical treatment must be reported to the appropriate police agency by health care officials. However, as noted above, students are not required to file a police report.

Updated: 01/02/2024 02:01PM