Mohammad Mayyas, Ph.D.
Dr. Mayyas is a professor of Engineering Technologies at the Bowling Green State University, and an affiliate Associate Research Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at the University of Texas Arlington, where he was formally senior research scientist and the chief of robotics division at its Research Institute. Dr. Mayyas is actively involved in establishing collaborative programs between academic institutions in USA and Middle East.
Dr. Mayyas currently teaches undergraduate and graduate courses including modeling and simulation of dynamic systems, dynamics, thermodynamics, design of experiments, senior project (Capstone), mechatronics, and robotics.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, The University of Texas at Arlington, 2007
Dissertation Title: Methodologies for Automated Microassembly
Supervising Professors: Panayiotis S. Shiakolas, Harry Stephanou
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, The University of Texas at Arlington, 2004
Thesis Title: Wafer surface reconstruction and characterization for motion compensation in a femtosecond laser micromachining system
Supervising Professors: Panayiotis S. Shiakolas, TC. Yih
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Jordan University of Science and Technology, 2001
Senior Project: Solar tracking control system
Supervising Professor: Mohammad Othman
Areas of Research
His research interests include Microsystems (Micro Electro Mechanical Systems), Micro-robotics, robotics, Mechatronics, control, manipulation and multi scale assembly, system dynamics and vibration, structural analysis, design of mechanisms, multi-scale multi-physics modeling & simulation, inverse engineering, and advanced micromanufacturing methodologies.
- M. Mayyas, Shiakolas, P. “Method and Apparatus for Detethering Mesoscale, Microscale, and Nanoscale Components and Devices” U.S. Patent Appl.(Issued 2014)
Dissertation/Thesis - Published
- M. Mayyas, “METHODOLOGIES FOR AUTOMATED MICROASSEMBLY”, Ph.D Dissertation, University of Texas at Arlington, Publisher: UMI, Ann Arbor, MI. Number 3310640, 308 pages. (2008).
- M. Mayyas, “Wafer surface reconstruction and characterization for motion compensation in a femtosecond laser micromachining system”, Master Thesis, University of Texas at Arlington, Publisher: UMI, Ann Arbor, MI. Number 1421283, 173 pages. (2004).
Industry Report - Published
- M. Mayyas, “The Benefits of the Automated Guided Vehicles in the Smart Manufacturing Industry of Tomorrow”, MHI Annual report for AGVS, Dec. 2018. Available at https://www.mhi.org/free/26588
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Abouheaf MI, Hashim HA, Mayyas MA, Vamvoudakis KG. An Online Model-Following Projection Mechanism Using Reinforcement Learning. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control. 2023 Feb 7.
- Parvin, S., and M. Mayyas. "Wind energy market in USA." European Journal of Sustainable Development Research 7.1 (2023).
- Mayyas, Mohammad. "Design characterization of 3D printed compliant gripper." Meccanica 57.3 (2022): 723-738.
- Indravash Chowdhury, Ravinder Singh, Christopher Kluse, and Mohammad Mayyas, “Obstacle Design Approach for Safety of Free Ranging AGVs in Shared Working Environment”. Advances in Science, Technology and Engineering Systems Journal, Volume 6, Issue 5, Page No 335-347, 2021.
- Mayyas, Mohammad. "Modeling and analysis of vibratory feeder system based on robust stick–slip motion." Journal of Vibration and Control (2021): 10775463211009633.
- Mayyas, Mohammad. "Interpolation of tensile properties of polymer composite based on Polyjet 3D printing." Progress in Additive Manufacturing (2021): 1-9.
- Mayyas, Mohammad. "Parallel Manipulation Based on Stick-Slip Motion of Vibrating Platform." Robotics 9.4 (2020): 86.
- Mayyas, Mohammad, and Ikya Mamidala. "Prosthetic finger based on fully compliant mechanism for multi-scale grasping." Microsystem Technologies 27.5 (2021): 2131-2145.
- Mayyas, Mohammad, Sai P. Vadlamudi, and Muhammed A. Syed. "Fenceless obstacle avoidance method for efficient and safe human–robot collaboration in a shared work space." International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems 17, no. 5 (2020): 1729881420959018.
- M. Mayyas, "Three-Point Inverse and Forward Kinematic Algorithms for Circle Measurement from Distributed Displacement Sensor Network." Sensors 19, no. 21 (2019): 4679. M. Mayyas, “Image Reconstruction and Evaluation: Applications on Micro-Surfaces and Lenna Image Representation,” J. Imaging, 2, 27 (2016)
- M. Mayyas, R. Mellish “A method for the automatic generation of inverse kinematic maps in modular robotic systems,” International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems 1–15 (2016)
- M. Mayyas, "Piezoelectric MEMS array package for distributed CMP pressure control Smart Materials and Structures 24(6), 065006 (2015).
- M. Mayyas, "Bioinspired legged-robot based on large deformation of flexible skeleton Bioinspiration & biomimetics 9(4), 046013 (2014).
- Mayyas, M. Comprehensive Thermal Modeling of ElectroThermoElastic Microstructures. Actuators, 1,pp. 21-35 (2012)
- Mayyas, M., Zhang, P., Lee, W-H., Popa, D., Chiao, JC. “An active micro joining mechanism for 3-D assembly.” J. Micromech. Microeng., Volume 19 ,(2009)
- Mayyas, M., Sin, J., Stephanou, H. “Methodologies for the Assembly of a Fiber Coupled MEMS Fourier Transform Spectrometer.” IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies. Vol. 32,issue 1, 2009, pp. 658-666.
- Mayyas, M., Stephanou, H. “Electrothermoelastic modeling of MEMS gripper.” Microsystem Technologies, 2009, Volume 15, Number 4, pp. 637-646. (2009)
- Mayyas, M., Shiakolas, P., Lee, W-H., Stephanou, H. “Thermal cycle modeling of electrothermal microactuators.” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Volume 152, Issue 2, pp.192-202 (2009)
- Mayyas, M., Shiakolas, P. “Micro-surfaces reverse engineering and compensation for laser micromachining.” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering. Volume 6, issue 2, pp. 291-301 (2009)
Peer-Reviewed Conference Publications (Proceedings)
- MD Sarder, M. Mayyas, Reshoring and Its Economic Impact Analysis Using Location Quotient, 2018 IISE Annual Conference, May 19-22, Orlando Florida, United State.
- R. Mellish and M. Mayyas, A Sensor-Based Control Strategy for the Correction of Growth Abnormalities In, 2015 IEEE International Conference on Multisensor Fusion and Information Integration. (IEEE, San Diego, CA, USA, 2015).
- Mayyas, M. Lee. W.H., Stephanou H. Microrobotic surveillance: discrete and continuous STARbots," SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing , 25-29 April 2011 in Orlando, Florida, United States.
- Sin J., Lee W.H., Mittal M., Mayyas. M, and Harry Stephanou, Manufacturability Analysis of Assembled FT Microspectrometer,” International Conference on Optical MEMS & Nanophotonics (Clearwater Florida, 2009)
- Mayyas, M. Zhang, P., Lee, W- H., Shiakolas, P., Popa, D., 2007. Design Tradeoffs for Electrothermal Microgrippers, ICRA07 (Roma, Italy, April 2007)
- Mayyas, M., Shiakolas, P. A Study on The Thermal Behavior Of Electrothermal Microactuators Due To Various Voltage Inputs. Proceedings of IMECE 2006, Paper No. IMECE2006-15321 (Chicago IL, November 2006)
- Mayyas, M., Shiakolas, P. Micro-Surface Construction and Characterization from Digital Elevation Model Using Thin Plate Splines in Matlab Environment. Proceedings of IMECE 2006, Paper No. IMECE2006-13471, (Chicago IL, November 2006)
- Zhang, P., Mayyas, M., Lee,W. H., Popa,D., Shiakolas,, P., Stephanou, H., Chiao, JC., 2006. An Active Locking Mechanism for Assembling 3D Micro Structures. SPIE International Smart Materials, Nano- & Micro-Smart Systems Symposium (Adelaide Australia, Dec.10-13 2006).
- Mayyas, M., Shiakolas, P. , Lee, W. H., Popa, D., Stephanou,H.; 2006. Static and dynamic modeling of thermal microgripper. MED06-14th Mediterranean Conference in Automation and Control (Ancona, Italy, June 2006)
- Mayyas, M., Shiakolas, P. Application of Thin Plate Splines for Surface Reverse Engineering and Compensation for Femtosecond Laser Micromachining. Proceedings of the IEEE International ( Cyprus, 2005)
- Zhang, P., Mayyas, M., Lee W. H., Popa, D., Shiakolas P., Stephanou, H., Chiao, JC., 2006. Design of an Active Lock for Integrating 3D Micro Structures. TEXMEMS VIII International Conference on MEMS (Dallas, Texas, Sept-2006)
- Mayyas, M., Zhang, P., Shiakolas, P., Lee W. H., Popa, D., Stephanou,H., 2006. Issues in the Current and Thermal Distribution for a Probed Electrothermal MEMS Actuator of Parallel Resistive Structure. TEXMEMS VIII International Conference on MEMS (Dallas, Texas, Sept-2006)
- Mayyas, M., Lee, W. H., Popa, D., Shiakolas, P., Zhang, P., Stephanou, H., 2005. Comprehensive Electrothermal Modeling of a Thermal Microgripper. TEXMEMS VII International Conference on MEMS (El Paso, TX, September 2005)
- Hsu, L.,George,V.,Popa, D., Lee, W. H., Mayyas, M., Zhang, P., Stephanou, H., Chiao, JC., 2005. 3D Microassembly Station. in Proceedings of TexMEMS VII (El Paso, Texas, September 2005)
- Mayyas, M., Shiakolas, P. Transient Thermal Model of an Attached Lateral Thermal Actuator. TEXMEMS VII International Conference on MEMS, (El Paso, TX, September 2005)
- Mayyas, M., Yih, TC., 2003. Analytical Modeling of Circular Micropump Membrane Actuated by an Electromagnetic Actuator. TexMEMS V Conference and Workshop (Fort Worth, TX, May 2003)
Updated: 07/13/2023 03:25PM