Student Responsibilities & Requirements
All students are responsible to complete all of the following in order to receive credit for his/her co-op:
1. Complete Co-op Orientation
Please complete the Co-op Orientation in Canvas prior to registering your first co-op course.
You only need to complete this requirement once, however you can re-visit the Canvas Co-op Orientation course shell as many times as you like.
The Co-op Orientation provides information about requirements, search strategies, resume tips, WorkNet, resources, and more.
- Accept the email invitation, sent to your BGSU email account.
- Log-in to your MyBGSU account and access Canvas.
- Click Courses, select Co-op Orientation, Complete the modules (approximately 20 – 30 minutes)
- Once completed you will be authorized to apply/register for a co-op course (TECH2890, 3890 or 4890) on WorkNet.
Do you have the right internet browser?
In order for the orientation slides to operate effectively, you should have all latest browser versions installed on your computer.
Do you have Prezi™?
You will need this for the presentations. An app for iPhone and iPad users is available in the App Store. This is a free service.
Still being blocked?
Be sure you have all pop-up blockers turned off.
If the presentations are not opening, it may because your security settings are set too high on your internet browser. Lower these settings and the presentations should work.
Please contact the co-op office with questions, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 419-372-7581.
2.Secure a Co-op
3.Submit a Cooperative Education Application Registration
Must be completed prior to the onset of the co-op work experience. *Retroactive co-op credit will not be granted. Check your course schedule via MyBGSU account to be sure the co-op course (TECH 2890, 3890, or 4890) is listed on your schedule.
*If the course does not appear then you are not registered and must contact the co-op office.
4. Complete Co-op Report
Complete and submit the required co-op report by the due date, given via Canvas.
*No late reports are accepted
A co-op report is required for each cooperative education course. The written requirements vary depending on the level of Co-op that is taken. All reports must be word processed or typed, double-spaced, with one inch margins on all four sides. Each semester, a report template is provided for you to use through your MyBGSU account. You must use this template and submit your report via your MyBGSU account using the Canvas course shell created each semester when completing your report. Each semester you will be given instructions similar to these stated below:
- Log on to your MyBGSU account.
- Click on the Canvas Icon. Under "Courses", click on the co-op course which you are completing that semester (TECH 2890, TECH3890 or TECH4890).
- Click on Assignments.
- Click on CO-OP Report.
- Open and complete the Co-op Report Template and submit per the posted co-op report due date.
- Click on Upload Your Photo (Instructions).
- Follow the instructions to upload your photo.
- Your co-op report AND Photo are due by 11:59 p.m., on the deadline date listed on the Canvas Home page, of the co-op course, during the semester in which you are completing your co-op. You must complete ALL requirements to pass your co-op course. You must earn an 11/11 on your co-op report and a 1/1 on your co-op photo.
- It is your responsibility to check the co-op Canvas course shell and BGSU email while enrolled in the co-op course and to communicate with your assigned co-op faculty representative.
- No exceptions or extensions will be given for late reports.
- If you do not successfully complete your report, you will receive a grade of "U" (Unsatisfactory) for the course, meaning that you have failed the course and will not receive credit for your co-op.
*** SPECIAL NOTE ***
TO WRITE YOUR REPORT, YOU MUST USE THE REPORT TEMPLATE FORMAT; HOWEVER, you can change the font, add images to the report, etc. to stylize and create a report that reflects your creativity and individuality.
5. Participate In a Co-op Site Visit
Each student will be assigned an official university representative from your college.
Your representative will contact you during the duration of your co-op to set a time and date to visit you at your workplace.
6. Adhere To ALL Co-op Course Deadlines
Your co-op will be graded S/U based on the material submitted at the time of grading.
If the co-op requirements were not met or not completed, you will receive a failing grade of "U."
7. Write a Thank You Letter
Write your co-op employer a thank you letter following the completion of your co-op. This is a simple gesture than can leave a lasting positive impression.