Pregnant or Parenting Student at BGSU?
Being pregnant or a parent while going to school can be a challenging experience. Finding balance between family commitments, writing papers, classes and your own wellness can be a difficult process.
Below are some of the off-campus resources available at and around BGSU. The State of Ohio provides assistance and resources for eligible families. For most of these resources, financial documentation will be needed.
Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
1840 E Gypsy Ln, Bowling Green, Ohio
- Provides supplemental foods, health care referrals and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding and non-breastfeeding postpartum women and to infants and children up to age 5 who are found to be at nutritional risk.
Wood County Dept of Job and Family Services
1928 E Gypsy Ln, Bowling Green, Ohio
- Helps low-incomes families buy food
- Cash and emergency assistance available to eligible households
- Assistance in paying for child care costs to qualified households
- Medicaid, medical transportation services resources to assist with prescriptions and/or health care resources available.
- Newborn Safe Haven
- Offered monthly on the 4th Wednesday, from 1 to 5 pm at Wood County Hospital Obstetrics Department
- Free-car seat inspection and education session
- Car seats to qualified families
- $20 donation appreciated
- Additional assistance available upon request
(866) 278-9428 TTY#
- Provides home visitations services for expectant parents, newborns, infants and toddlers to families with infants and toddlers with or at-risk for developmental delays or disabilities.
(4769) - Statewide
- Provides current information about child care in this area (including rates, policies, ratios and licensing standards)
- Provides assistance on what to look for to determine quality child care
- Help in seeking assistance in paying for child care
- Access to resources that address child development and parenting challenges
- Online search engine helps families to select the best options for child care needs
- Advocate for families and children
- Conducts workshops for parents and community members
- Teen Outreach Program – a program for high school-aged students that consists of supervised community service, discussion of service experiences, and activities that help promote positive social and personal development
- 24-Hour supportive services
- Certified Lactation Specialists are available to provide support and education
- Services offered at no charge
- Offers monthly breastfeeding support groups