All newly arriving International Students will meet with a Student Insurance Representative during Orientation. We will help you to complete the Health Insurance Requirement and Health Screening Requirement. If you have questions, please contact us.
International Students requesting a health insurance waiver will need to review all of the health insurance waiver requirements listed below. After reviewing the requirements, please contact our office for additional instructions.
International Students taking one or more credit hours are required by the University to enroll into the BGSU/Aetna Student Health Plan, with the exception of students that have approved coverage provided by their government or embassy, or approved coverage provided by a U.S. based employer. These students will need to contact the Student Insurance Office to request a waiver. Students will need to have their health insurance ID card and student ID as well as complete policy documentation in order to complete a waiver form. The waiver must be submitted prior to the posted waiver deadline in order to be accepted. Waivers will not be accepted after the first week of classes. The student is responsible to pay for the health insurance premium amount on their student account.
International Student Health Insurance Waiver Minimum Requirements -
BGSU's waiver requirements include Affordable Care Act compliance. Insurance policies must be provided by a U.S. based health insurance company, with a U.S. based claims mailing address and phone number.
Policies that are not compliant with the Affordable Care Act guidelines or will not be accepted. Policies that are not U.S. based will not be accepted.
In order to be approved for a waiver, your health insurance policy must meet ALL of the minimum requirements listed below.
- Policy is backed by my Government, Embassy, International Organization or policy is through a U.S. based employer
- Policy Deductible of $500 or less per policy year
- Unlimited (no dollar maximum) annual benefits per illness, injury and prescription medications
- Coverage payable in U.S. dollars
- An out of pocket maximum of $7,150 or less
- No exclusions or waiting period can exist for the following conditions: Pre-existing conditions, Preventive Care Services as required by the U.S. government for individual insurance plans, Essential Health Benefits will be covered and include: suicide, attempted suicide, self-inflicted injury, pregnancy/pregnancy related conditions, alcohol/drug related conditions.
- A company licensed to do business in the United States, with a U.S. claims address and a U.S. phone number.
- Short term health plans will NOT be accepted
- Coverage must be in effect for the entire applicable academic year
- Policy must provide coverage for medical and mental health coverage in Northwest Ohio
- Repatriation of Remains U.S. $25,000 minimum coverage
- Medical evacuation U.S. $50,000 minimum coverage