International Students need to confirm their current health insurance policy meets the BGSU and federal health insurance waiver requirements prior to requesting a waiver from the Student Insurance Office. See minimum requirements below.
Students need to present their health insurance ID card, student ID and complete insurance policy documentation to the Student Insurance Office for review before the waiver can be approved.
- Policy is backed by my Government, Embassy, International Organization or policy is through a U.S. based employer
- Policy Deductible of $500 or less per policy year
- Unlimited (no dollar maximum) annual benefits per illness, injury and prescription medications
- Coverage payable in U.S. dollars
- An out of pocket maximum of $7,150 or less
- No exclusions or waiting period can exist for the following conditions: Pre-existing conditions, Preventive Care Services as required by the U.S. government for individual insurance plans, Essential Health Benefits will be covered and include: suicide, attempted suicide, self-inflicted injury, pregnancy/pregnancy related conditions, alcohol/drug related conditions.
- A company licensed to do business in the United States, with a U.S. claims address and a U.S. phone number.
- Coverage must be in effect for the entire applicable academic year (Short term health plans will not be accepted)
- Policy must provide coverage for medical and mental health coverage in Northwest Ohio
- Repatriation of Remains U.S. $25,000 minimum coverage
- Medical evacuation U.S. $50,000 minimum coverage
Please email the Student Insurance Office at: email@example.com to apply for a waiver.