Resources for faculty and graduate coordinators
What is Graduate Student Senate (GSS)?
Bowling Green State University Graduate Student Senate (GSS) represents and advocates for graduate students by participating in the shared governance of the University. GSS endeavors to enhance graduate students’ academic and social experiences during their time at BGSU.
GSS also provides funding for professional development and regalia for graduation in the Fall, Spring and Summer. Deadlines and announcements will always be listed at bgsu.edu/gss
What is the role of the graduate coordinator in choosing a GSS senator?
At the beginning of each academic year, each program selects a graduate student (full or part time) to serve as a senator. Earlier in the summer, you were contacted about your seat allocation. If you have questions about your allocation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Departments select these senators in several ways:
- General elections by other graduate students in the cohort
- appointing someone
- asking for volunteers
Please choose whichever way works for best for your program. Please send the name and email of your chosen senator to email@example.com no later than Friday, August 30, 2019.
Senators are required to attend general assembly meetings which take place on Fridays from 3pm-5pm. The schedule of meetings is listed here.
A draft email is also included at the end of this document.
We understand that there is a lot of information to cover during your departmental orientation. Here is a suggestion of some helpful items to make students aware of during your time with them during your departmental orientation.
· Graduate Assistant Pay schedule: Please note that graduate assistants will not receive their first paycheck until September 20.
· Residency application: If your students need to apply for Ohio residency for their second year, please direct them to the site to begin collecting the necessary documents needed when they apply. Even though they are not doing this until their second year, it is helpful to plan ahead.
· Graduate fees: Even if your students were awarded a scholarship and/or a Graduate Assistantship, they may not realize that they are still responsible for graduate fees. Please direct them to their individual accounts and the bursar office.
· Ohiolink: Students can reserve textbooks and other research materials when they are not available in the Jerome Library’s collections.
· Graduate College degree deadlines: Students should be aware of the deadlines of the Graduate College as they plan their degree.
· Enterprise Carshare: For students that do not have a car, BGSU has a partnership with Enterprise which offers carshare opportunities for a significant discount. Enrollment is subject to availability.
We are always happy to assist faculty and staff who work with graduate students. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Robin Hershkowitz, American Culture Studies
Ashley Hendricks, Media and Communication
DRAFT EMAIL – SENATOR RECRUITMENT
Dear graduate students:
The Graduate Student Senate (GSS) represents and advocates for graduate students by participating in the shared governance of the University. GSS endeavors to enhance graduate students’ academic and social experiences during their time at BGSU. More detailed information can be found at:
Our [department/program/college] is allocated [number] of senators to serve on the Graduate Student Senate. These individuals play a key role in advocating for the students in our program. These individuals are also needed to communicate important updates and announcement back to the students.
Senators attend two meetings per month, on Fridays from 3pm-5pm. The schedule of meetings is available here:
If you are interested in serving in a senator role, please respond to me by [date and time], and further steps will be provided.