Strategic Goals 2017-2018
Goal 1: Engage undergraduate students in a unique BG learning experience that fosters engaged citizenship, global leadership and career preparedness which will lead to life-long success.
- Respond to workforce needs by creating at least three new academic programs and/or providing new modes of instructional delivery for current programs.
- Further increase students' participation in the BG Experience. (Increase internships by 5-10%, education abroad by 5-10%, research projects by 5-10%, community projects, and learning communities' participation).
- Ensure all graduates as of the fall 2017 entering class have a career plan (Falcon Flight Plan) at time of graduation.
- Enhance the quality of the teaching and learning through creative use of the technology, active learning strategies and inclusive teaching pedagogies.
- Refine programs designed to increase retention and student success for all students.
Goal 2: Link graduate programs strategically to scholarship and research pursuits.
- Increase external funding and work toward a goal of $30 million in research expenditures.
- Create at least three new master's degree programs or new modes of instructional delivery for current programs that are responsive to workforce needs.
- Grow enrollments and research in the areas of focus in the academic plan.
- Ensure successful implementation of the Entrepreneurial Services Program.
- Develop commercial and tech transfer projects through the strategic use of the Collab Lab.
Goal 3: Expand academic, research, and public service partnerships with regional communities, the State of Ohio, and other universities; and with national and global private, nonprofit, and governmental entities.
- Expand the number of relationships/partnerships, at the University level and at the college level, with companies, organizations and communities to further the vision and mission of BGSU.
- Use the Collab Lab to assist with economic development in Northwest Ohio.
- Implement the findings from the reviews of the centers and institutes to enhance their impact and effectiveness and align with areas of focus of academic plan.
- Emphasize entrepreneurial activities to build BGSU's reputation.
Goal 4: Advance global engagement through learning, discovery and service.
- Host programs, conferences and seminars focused on global engagement.
- Increase the level of global engagement in the areas of research; academic and co-curricular programming; education abroad; and conferences.
- Expand recruitment efforts for international students, faculty and staff.
- Develop new and expand current partnerships with international universities.
Goal 5: Build a campus and community that fosters diversity and inclusion.
- Develop programs and strategies to increase the recruitment, retention and success of underrepresented and diverse students, faculty, and staff.
- Enhance support services and initiatives to support the retention and success of underrepresented and diverse students, faculty, and staff.
- Promote programs designed to celebrate gains, and further develop programs, centered on diversity and inclusion.
- Support "PACODI," "Not in Our Town," "It's on Us," and "We Are One Team" initiatives.
- Engage and dialogue with the campus and community about the importance of difference and the educational benefits of diversity.
Goal 6: Enhance the well-being and quality of life of BGSU students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends.
- Offer professional and personal development opportunities and programming (e.g. leadership, compliance, wellness) for faculty and staff to support their growth and development and enhance the student experience.
- Implement recommendations developed by the sexual assault task force.
- Reinforce a campus culture of outstanding service and student success.
- Enhance town-gown relationship through intentional collaborations with city and county officials and offices.
- Expand and support wellness options and programs faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends.
- Continue to engage alumni and friends through programming and events.
Goal 7: Develop a physical, organizational, and financial infrastructure that ensures the short- and long-term success of the BG experience and enhances the development of the BG family.
- Continue to increase student body to 25,000 head count by achieving and sustaining a retention rate of 80 percent while increasing 4- and 6-year graduation rates and by robust recruiting of traditional and non-traditional students including Firelands and eCampus.
- Continue to implement the campus master plan and revise the student housing plan.
- Ensure the success of the comprehensive campaign.
- Integrate the concepts of value and quality into the University brand.
- Establish the appropriate level and quality of staffing and services in all units.
- Continue to implement program reviews and complete appropriate accreditations successfully for academic and support programs.
- Ensure efficiency and effectiveness of all operations.