Your safety is our priority. BGSU is committed to providing the staff, resources and campus facilities to assure the safety of all students, staff, faculty and visitors. Our Department of Public Safety provides around-the-clock police protection and sponsors many crime prevention programs.
A Campus Escort Service, University shuttle, sophisticated outdoor lighting system, 911 telephone system and outdoor emergency telephones combine to provide an environment that is safe and secure. University Police patrol the campus 24 hours a day in marked police cars, on bicycles and on foot.
All residence halls have electronic door-access security systems and are staffed during late-night hours. Residents are issued a personal entry device (PED).
The most recent information about crime prevention, the law enforcement authority of the University Police, policies for reporting crime on campus, and crime statistics for the most recent three-year period is available online at www.bgsu.edu/offices/safety.
The Office of Residence Life in collaboration with Environmental Health and Safety, Public Safety, Risk Management and the Bowling Green Fire Division work hard to provide a safe environment for our residents by:
- Installed sprinkler systems in our high-rise residence hall, Offenhauer, and partially in Founders Hall
- Trained hall staff in fire safety
- Conducting student room fire safety inspections twice a year
- Conducting a minimum of 1 fire drill per semester with evacuation verification
- Monthly inspections of fire extinguishers
- Yearly fire training exercises by local fire division
- 24 hour monitoring of residential fire detection systems
- Providing free fire extinguisher training for residents
- Setting standard for electrical appliances, electrical cords and furniture
- Smoke evacuation exercise in halls during welcome week
- Placed fire safety posters in multiple locations in residence halls
The University-sponsored apartments also have yearly safety inspections, along with inspection of their stoves, fire extinguishers, and carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
Practices residents can follow to maximize fire safety for themselves and others in their residence hall or apartments are:
- Evacuate the building every time you hear a fire alarm
- Never pull a false fire alarm
- Never tamper with fire safety equipment
- Do not disconnect or cover smoke detectors
Due to the potential fire hazards, the University Fire Safety Policy prohibits the use of and/or possession of the following items in residence housing*:
- Candles, incense and oil lamps (even if used as a decoration)
- Lights or lamps with halogen bulbs
- Extension cords
- Appliances with exposed heating elements
- Hot plates, toasters, toaster ovens, hot pots, outdoor and indoor grills and waffle irons
- Air conditioners
- Portable heaters
- Inflatable furniture or bean bags
- Hoverboards, Skagway’s, IO Hawks, Skywalkers, and similar devices
*Please see the Residential Community Living Standards for full details
Essential fire safety information for students who live in off-campus apartments
You have the right to a safe dwelling!
The City of Bowling Green mandates the following:
- Functioning smoke detector per occupied floor
- Methods of exit from room and floor
Know the hazards
- Combustibles (pizza boxes on water heaters, etc.)
- Disabled smoke detectors
- Couches on porches
- Grills on porches or under overhangs
- Portable or space heaters
Know what you can do
If you have questions or concerns about fire safety in your apartment or house, contact:
- City of Bowing Green Fire Department 419.352.3106
- Student Legal Services 419.372.2951
- Off-Campus Student Services 419.372.2458
- BGSU Environmental Health and Safety 419.372-2171
Take charge of your safety!