Graduate Academic Support Coordinator
The Graduate Academic Support Coordinator (GASC) assists in providing supervision, leadership development and support to the Academic Peer Mentors (APM). The GASC helps the APMs provide individual mentoring and hall-wide programming to promote academic success and personal growth for students living in the residence halls at BGSU.
10-month, 20 hours scheduled per week, plus an additional 8 hours based on housing and meal plan compensation. This position includes additional evening and weekend hours with live-in responsibilities.
Appointment tentatively set to begin July 18, 2018 and end on May 21, 2019. Time-off occurs between semesters and during academic breaks, additional time arranged with supervisor.
Supervision and Follow Up
- Directly supervise and evaluate 20 Academic Peer Mentors
- Review APM contact logs on a regular basis for any issues and concerns to be referred up
- Assist in developing APM Manual & Training
- Assist with identifying and disseminating content for newsletters, bulletin boards, and social media postings
- Assist APMs and campus partners with programming that provide students with information about campus resources, opportunities to connect to faculty in an informal atmosphere, and assistance with overcoming daily challenges in their academic development.
- Create resources handouts and worksheets for APMs to distribute to students
- Conducting bi-weekly roundtable staff and semester one on one meetings with the APM staff
- Assist in coordinating APM Recruitment/Selection process during Spring semesters
- Review and compile all meeting reports, noting concerns
- Work with Assistant Director for Academic Support to coordinate with campus partners on academic initiatives
- Meet weekly with Assistant Director and with the Residence Education staff
- Assist in coordinating fall and spring training for APM staff
- Participate in Residence Education fall and spring trainings
Additional Responsibilities Include
- Participate in on-call duty rotation.
- Serve as an Academic Success Coach for residential and residential leadership students.
- Conduct follow-up conversations with residents on academic success issues as identified by RAs during the Falcon Success and Retention Curriculum (FSRC) conversations
- Make resources referrals to Academic Advisors, Learning Commons, Counseling Center, Bursar, Financial Aid, and other resources relevant to academic success issues
- Talk with students about residential resources such as the Faculty Peer Mentors, Academic Peer Mentors, and Academic Resource Centers
- Help student identify their Academic Advisor, College Offices, DARS Reporting System, Etc. Participate on committees within Residence Life to continue to move the Office of Residence Life toward its mission and vision
- Participate in conduct training with the potential of hearing cases if needed or if enrolled in practicum
- Attend and participate in Residence Education staff training sessions and meetings
- Attend and participate in Residence Education staff selection sessions and meetings
- Support Bowling Green State University and Office of Residence Life initiatives
- Perform other duties as assigned
There are many steps to the application process. To help you better understand the timeline, please review the schedule below:
||In order to receive full consideration for an invitation to Interview Days, candidates should submit a completed application by December 1. Applications completed or received after December 1 will be considered on a space-available basis. For more information on the College Student Personnel program, please visit their website.
|Step 2||In January, applications are reviewed by the CSP Admissions Committee. Based on that review, the Admissions Committee members decide who will be extended an invitation to interview.|
|Step 3||Candidates are interviewed at CSP I-Days on campus.|
|Step 4||In March, selected candidates will be offered an approved internship. Once a candidate accepts an offer for an approved internship, formal admission to the CSP program is then granted.|
|Step 5||Canidades must accept by the CSP deadline. Notification letters will be sent to selected candidates.|
||Graduate Assistant training begins.|