Academic Peer Mentor Team Leader
Academic Peer Mentor (APM) Team Leader | The Academic Peer Mentor Team Leader (APM TL) is a part-time paraprofessional staff member in the Office of Residence Life who works with an assigned group of students within the residence halls. The Academic Peer Mentor Team Leader is responsible for leading a small team of 8-10 APMs on either the East or West side of campus. Team Leaders are directly responsible to the Graduate Coordinator for Academics (GCA) and the Assistant Director for Academic Support and Assessment. The APM Team Leader keeps the supervisors informed of the academic problems and needs of the APMs on their assigned Campus Team.
Team Leaders are assigned to one of two clusters of buildings (One on the eastern side of campus, one on the western side) and are expected to serve as the team leader of APMs assigned to those buildings. Team Leaders are expected to keep a detailed schedule for their campus team, arrange schedule changes, and addressing scheduling conflicts with their assigned APMs. The Team Leaders are expected to hold hourly shifts within the residence halls to meet with their campus team or complete weekly tasks. Team Leaders are expected to have weekly 1:1 check in meetings with their Campus Team, informing all areas of concern to the Graduate Coordinator of Academics [GCA]. Team Leaders are expected to set aside time weekly to work alongside the GCA in creating marketing and programming for the Residence Halls. - This appointment is for one full academic year.
APM Job Duties
- Visit all opening floor meetings to discuss the role of the Academic Peer Mentor
- Create and distribute marketing materials for Residential Resource Centers and APM Bulletin Boards
- Maintain 12-15 hours of dedicated office time to complete RRC Rounds, Marketing Tasks, and other Team Leader responsibilities.
- Maintain current knowledge of time management, study skills, organization, test-taking skills, study group strategies, understanding a syllabus, using Canvas, etc.,
- Offer advice to APMs on resident interactions and resources.
- Collaborate with GCA to plan 2-3 “all campus” programs per semester promoting academic success.
- Collaborate with Campus Team to create programming ideas for each semester
- Communicate all programming ideas to GCA.
- Create a marketing package for Hall Specific programming and engagement efforts, as requested.
Mentorship and Active Outreach
- Hold weekly scheduled 1:1 meeting with APMs on assigned Campus Team
- Advise APMs on resources for Case Load Students
- Maintain a note log from 1:1 APM Meetings
- Communicate notes from APM 1:1’s to GCA
Training and Meetings
- Attend Academic Peer Mentor training program in August (one week before the academic year begins)
- Attend bi-weekly scheduled meetings with Assistant Director, Graduate Academics Coordinator, and both Campus Teams (Wednesdays, 7:30-9:00PM)
- Attend APM Leadership Team Meetings on a monthly basis (Wednesdays, 7:30-9:00PM)
- Collaborate and Co-Lead professional development and leadership skills meetings once monthly
- Attend Bi-Weekly 1:1 meetings with the Graduate Coordinator of Academics
- Assist with Academic Peer Mentor recruitment by nominating residents and conducting information sessions and interviews
Leadership and Central Office
- Assist GCA with campus-wide programming planning and implementation. This will include all programming in the Residential Academic Resource Centers.
- Assist GCA and Assistant Director with Marketing, Promotion, and Social Media of APMs.
- Manage shift schedule and shift changes for respective area of campus.
- Complete rounds of their assigned area to ensure that all APMs have reported to shifts and that RRCs and other academic spaces are well-maintained.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of Spring Training. This may also include the opportunity to present or facilitate a training session.
Application Process 2021-2022 Academic School Year
|January 11 - January 22||Accepting Applications|
|January 11 - January 22||(Current Staff Only) Intent to Return form|
|January 26 - January 29||Interviews with Professional and Graduate Staff|
|February 15||Notification letters will be sent to candidates|
Virtual Information & Resume Building Sessions
|January 12 at 10 am||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 13 at 4 pm||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 14 at 11am||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 14 at 3pm||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 15 at 2pm||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 17 at 4pm||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 18 at 12pm||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 21 at 10:30am||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 21 at 12:15pm||Resume Review Workshop - Join Zoom Session|
Other Residence Life Student Positions