Academic Peer Mentor
$9.25 per hour/ up to 10 - 12 hours per week.
Applications for the 2021-2022 Academic School Year will open in late August.
Academic Peer Mentor (APM) | This is a part-time paraprofessional staff member in the Office of Residence Life who works with an assigned group of students within a residence hall. The APM works closely with other APMs on a small team and is directly responsible to the Graduate Coordinator for Academic Support and the Assistant Director for Academic Support and Assessment. The APM keeps the supervisors informed of the academic problems and needs of the residents in their assigned community. The APM provides individual mentoring and hall-wide programming to promote academic success. The APM helps students with understanding a syllabus, understanding Canvas, time management, study skills, test-taking skills, organization, note-taking, course registration, library research skills, in addition to other academic skills.
- Must be able to work 10 hours a week during preferred hours (Sunday – Thursday, 6 – 10 p.m.)
- Must have, and maintain, a 3.0 term and cumulative GPA.
- Must be an enrolled student with at least Sophomore standing, Juniors and Seniors preferred.
- Cannot currently be on Residence Life Employment Probation, Resident or University Student Conduct Probation or Academic Probation.
APM Job Duties
In-Hall Presence and Programming:
- Visit all opening floor meetings to discuss the role of the Academic Peer Mentor
- Compose letter to residents introducing the APM role. Send biweekly email newsletter with study tips, academic deadlines, etc.
- Establish a social media presence and post at least twice per week
- Create and post academic resources on bulletin boards in the hall, once per month
- Maintain 8-10 hours of dedicated evening office hours per week (Sunday-Thursday between 6-10:00PM, scheduled amongst team of APMs) to provide academic assistance to students in the hall. Examples include help with time management, study skills, organization, test-taking skills, study group strategies, understanding a syllabus, using Canvas, etc., overseeing Study Table hours in the hall, and facilitating in-hall study groups.
- Plan at least one program per month that provide students with information about campus resources, opportunities to connect to faculty in an informal atmosphere, and assistance with overcoming daily challenges in the course of their personal and academic development
- Work collaboratively with Hall Staff and Residential Faculty Mentor Program (if applicable)
- Serve as an “early alert” agent with student academic concerns
- Meet with students identified as struggling academically one-on-one, per referral from Hall Staff
- Assist residents with academic resources and referrals on an informal “as needed” basis
- Maintain and submit a contact log of residents
Training and Meetings
- Attend Academic Peer Mentor training program in August (before the academic year begins)
- Attend scheduled meetings with Assistant Director, Graduate Coordinator, in-hall staff, and faculty/staff partner(s) as required
- Attend hall staff meeting on biweekly basis (Wednesday, 7:30-9:00PM)
- Attend Academic Peer Mentor meetings on biweekly basis (Wednesday, 8:15- 10:00PM)
- Regularly attend residence hall events and initiatives
- Assist with Academic Peer Mentor recruitment by nominating residents and conducting information sessions and interviews
Application Process 2021-2022 Academic School Year
|October - December||Virtual Info Session (Date/Time TBD)|
|January (Tentative)||Application opens for two weeks|
|TBD||Round 1: Interviews|
|TBD||Round 2: Peer Interviews|
|February||Returning Staff Only - Intent to Return form due|
|March||Notification letters will be sent to candidates|
Please note: All position information, including the compensation, are subject to change. The information provided on this page is a reflection of the current academic school year position. If you have any questions about the Application Process, please email us at ResLifeJobs@bgsu.edu. Thank you for your interest in the position!
Other Residence Life Student Positions