Returning Student Housing Guide
This may not be your first time going through the Housing Selection Process, but we have been doing this for years. Let us guide you so all you have to worry about is how you are going to accessorize your new space and all the new friends you are going to make next year.
Returning students who have NOT lived on campus for 2 years (4 semesters) as of Fall of 2023 are REQUIRED to live on campus unless you meet one of our housing exemptions.
Nov. 29, 2022 – Feb. 20, 2023 | Housing Applications open at 9 a.m. EST and remain open through Feb. 20.
Feb. 22 | Standard room selection times will be sent to BGSU emails after 3 p.m. EST.
Feb. 28 - Mar. 2 | Students who paid the $200 housing payment select their room.
May 1 | Last day to receive a refund of the $200 initial housing payment.
Nov. 29, 2022 - Feb. 20, 2023
If you are living on campus next year, you will need to complete the following. You can complete these items by logging into your MyBGSU account. MyBGSU>Housing & Residence Life>Housing & Meal Plan Application
- Accept the terms of the On-Campus Housing and Dining Agreement.
- Make the $200 Initial Housing Payment.*
- Submit your Health and Emergency Contact Information.
- Complete the Lifestyle Questionnaire.
- Select a meal plan.
- Optional: Students who wish to live in a learning community room will need to apply or renew their membership during this step. Learn more about learning community housing >>
* The $200 initial housing payment does not determine the assigned room selection time. Selection times are randomized by a computer and NOT based on completed credit hours or payment date.
STEP 2 | Find The Correct Room Selection Process
The majority of returning students will follow the Standard Room Selection process, but you will need to follow a different process if you want to live in the Greek Townhouses, a learning community room, All Gender Housing or if you need an accessibility accommodation. Select which best describes you below and we will bring you to the correct timeline you need to follow. If you have any questions, please reach out to our office between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday at email@example.com.
WHICH BEST DESCRIBES YOU?
Understanding Your Housing Options
Because room selection times are randomly assigned, it is important you form a realistic preference list. You could potentially live in any of the following dorms, no matter where you are living this year. We have broken out where the returning students lived last year so you have a better understanding of where you could potentially live next year.
Making Your Preference List
There is a difference between a wish list and a preference list. A wish list is your top three choices you hope to pick from during your selection time. A preference list is all of the potential room options listed in order so you are prepared for any scenario during selection. Here are some tips to help you out:
- You can guarantee a room in Learning Community (LC) housing by renewing your LC membership. Learn more about learning community housing >>>>
- If you are a member of a Fraternity or Sorority, we highly recommend trying to secure a room in your chapter Greek Townhouse. There is a separate process you need to follow. Learn more greek housing >>
- If you need an accessibility accommodation, you will need to work through Accessibility Services. Learn more about accessibility accommodations >>
- Only 18% of our rooms are singles and priority goes to students who have an accessibility accommodation. Be prepared to be in a double room next year.
- 33.5% of returning students will live in a room without AC; it's possible you will be living in Kreischer, regardless of where your room is this year.
Standard Room Selection
Because you are not going to live in a chapter-affiliated Greek townhouse, a learning community room, or All Gender Housing and you don't need an accessibility accommodation...you will need to follow the Standard Room Selection process.
We are excited you will be living on campus again next year. Please use the detailed timeline below as your resource through the room selection process. This process starts in November and will end in February, when you select your room. If you have any questions during this process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We recommend reviewing the different on-campus options available to returning students, even if you have visited a few of them. You never know what room options will be available during your selection time.
Standard Housing Selection Calendar
Nov. 29, 2022 - Feb. 20, 2023 at 9 a.m. EST | Online Housing Applications OPEN
Starting at 9 a.m. on Nov. 29, 2022, you can fill out the required online Housing Application and pay your $200 Initial Housing Payment through Feb. 20, 2023. More information is listed in Step 1 on this page. Room selection times are NOT assigned based on the date you make your payment. They are assigned randomly. Students can also apply to live in All Gender Housing and a learning community during this time period.
Room Selection Times are RANDOMLY Assigned
Instead of randomly assigning times based on payment date, room selection times are 100% randomized. The $200 initial payment date, GPA, "squatters rights" nor any other factor determines your time. Everyone who is eligible to live on campus is plugged into the system and the system randomly assigns the times. Why do we do this? It is the only process that does not unfairly penalize students for factors outside of their control.
We have to think about EVERY student and every scenario from different perspectives. No matter what, someone will get to pick first and someone will have to pick last. Assigning random selection times is the fairest process and here's why:
- The returning and new student housing selection processes are identical when it comes to how students have their selection time determined.
- The majority of returning students living on campus have a Sophomore status. The system would not be able to handle the volume and our office would not be able to assist students in a timely manner if we gave all Sophomores the same selection time.
- We found using GPA as a ranking in the room selection process to be unfair. A student's class schedule, major and other variables outside of a student's control can help (or hinder) a student's GPA; making it impossible to compare one student to another. PLUS, this option could add additional stress on to the student.
Nov. 29, 2022 - Feb. 20, 2023 | Room Selection Groups (RSG) Can Be Formed
You can increase your chances to live with your preferred roommate by joining a room selection group with one of your friends. Students in a group will receive the same selection time, making it easier to find a room together, or close together. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee students will be roommates, even if they are in a group.
Starting at 9 a.m. EST on Nov. 29, if you would like to receive the same selection time as your friend, you can create a room selection group in your Housing Application located in your myBGSU by clicking on "Housing and Meal Plan Application." Learn more about this process on the roommate webpage.
Nov. 29, 2022 - Feb. 6, 2023 | All Gender Housing Applications OPEN
If you wish to live in All Gender Housing, you will need to fill out the All Gender Housing Application located in your housing application by 4:30 p.m. on February 6, 2023. After this time, please email Rebecca Lyons for special consideration.
Feb. 22 | Room Selection Times Emailed After 3 p.m. EST.
If you paid your $200 Initial Housing Payment by Feb. 20, you will receive a Room Selection Time sent to your BGSU email account after 3 p.m. EST. Selection times are randomized by a computer and are not based on completed credit hours or initial housing payment date.
Please note: This does not include students who are placed in a chapter-affliated Greek townhouse.
Feb. 28 - Mar. 2 | Room Selection 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Each Day
In your MyBGSU, click on the link "Housing and Meal Plan Application." The room selection process will open up for you during your assigned room selection time. Review these following tips for before you select your room so you are prepared:
Steps Prior to Room Selection
Follow these steps PRIOR to your room selection date.
- Check your BGSU email for your assigned date and time. Please note: Your room selection time will be randomly assigned.
- Review all of the housing options and create a preference list just in case the first choice is no longer available.
* Students who choose to live in a chapter-affiliated Greek townhouse will be hand-assigned to their room by Residence Life staff based on the roster provided by the chapter.
Steps During Room Selection
Follow these steps DURING your room selection time.
- Students will need to log in to their MyBGSU account to access their "Housing & Meal Plan Application" according to their Room Selection Time that was emailed to them.
- This process will be on a first come, first served basis with everyone who has access at the same time, or before you.
- Information on how to select a bed for the person you formed a room selection group with is listed on the roommates page.
- The room selection system will remain open through March 3, 2023. Students wanting to make changes or select a different room after March 3 will need to complete the Room Change Request Form located in your MyBGSU>Housing & Meal Plan Application>Manage My Housing which opens on March 15, 2023.
IMPORTANT: In order to make sure space is available for everyone, the Office of Residence Life may need to move room assignments to a different room to accommodate for space. It will be the same type of room in the same building but the room number or the floor may be adjusted. This is in accordance to the housing agreement signed by all residential students.
Feb. 28 - Mar. 2 | Returning Students Can Change Room Assignment
Returning students can go into the housing system and change their room assignment. If a student does not select a room during their assigned room selection time, they can still select their room up until 9 a.m. EST on Mar. 3 online.
Mar. 3 | Online Housing System SHUTS OFF After 9 a.m. EST
Online housing system shuts off. After 9 a.m. EST, You will need to complete the Request a Room Form located in your MyBGSU>Housing & Meal Plan Application.
You will be sent a confirmation email to your BGSU email once your room has been assigned.
Mar. 15 | Falcon Heights Waitlist -and- Fall Room Change Request Form OPENS After 9 a.m. EST
Waitlist for Falcon Heights -and- Fall Room Change Request Form opens. There are very distinct differences between the two forms, so it's important you read this the information carefully. If you have questions, connect with us and we will walk you through it. email@example.com.
Requests on both forms are granted on a first come, first served basis and we process requests throughout the summer. You will be notified through your BGSU email if your request is approved. On average, we are able to fulfill 70% - 80% of the requests we receive but this is solely determined by factors outside of our control. Requests can only be granted if space becomes available.
The forms will remain open through 4:45 p.m. EST on Aug. 1.
WAITLIST FORM FOR FALCON HEIGHTS
If you already have a room assignment for Fall 2023, fill out the waitlist form if you want to be re-assigned to a room in Falcon Heights and you DO NOT already have a room assignment in Falcon Heights.
- If you wish to be re-assigned to a hall other than Falcon Heights, or you need to make a different request, fill out the room change request form instead.
ROOM CHANGE REQUEST FORM
If you already have a room assignment for Fall 2023, the Room Change Request form can be used to make a room change within your hall, building change request, roommate request or to swap rooms with someone else.
- This form can be used by students who have a room assignment in Founders Hall, Kohl Hall, Kreischer Quadrangle, McDonald Hall, Offenhauer Towers, and Village Townhouses (that are not affiliated with a Greek chapter).
- If you want to make a request for Falcon Heights—you first must have a room assignment in Falcon Heights and the individual(s) you want to make the change with, must also have an assignment (if applicable).
May 31 | Specialized Housing Accommodations Form Due
Accessibility Services and the Office of Residence Life work together to coordinate housing accommodations for students with disabilities and chronic health conditions. If you would like to request a housing accommodation, you first must be registered with Accessibility Services and then fill out the Specialized Housing Accommodations Form and return it one of three ways:
Mail | Accessibility Services; 38 College Park; Bowling Green, OH 43403
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax | 419-372-8496
May 1 | LAST Day To Receive $200 Refund
Last day to receive your $200 refund. This is the last day Students can cancel their Housing Contract and receive a full refund of the $200 Initial Housing Payment. Students who cancel after this date are subject to the Forfeiture Schedule. This also applies to anyone receiving a deferral.
July 31 | Housing Selection Ends
2023-24 Housing Selection Ends. This is the last day New, Returning and Transfer Students can make their $200 Initial Housing Payment online for the next Academic School Year and complete their Housing Application. Students can still apply for housing after this date, but must be cleared by the Office of the Bursar before being assigned to housing.
Aug. 1 | Housing Elegible Students Who Did NOT Complete Housing Selection Process
Students eligible for housing, who did not complete the Housing Selection Process before this date, must contact the Office of the Bursar first to get cleared prior to contacting the Office of Residence Life to apply for housing.
Greek Village Housing Guide for Chapter-Affiliated Townhouses
If you are a returning student who would like to live in the Greek Townhouse of your fraternity or sorority, you should follow the calendar details below.
Townhouses not occupied by a Greek affiliated organization before returning student room selection will be available during standard room selection.
Greek Village Housing Selection Calendar
Nov. 29, 2022 - Feb. 20, 2023
Please note: The chapter-affiliated Greek Village Townhouses are considered on-campus housing.
STEP 1 | Connect with your chapter
It is the responsibility of each fraternity and sorority to submit a roster to our office of the members who will be living in the townhouses. Housing selection does not take place through the housing selection system.
- Find out which member of your fraternity/sorority has been selected to be your chapter housing representative.
- Let your chapter representative know you would like to live in the townhouse. They are responsible for coordinating your chapters housing assignments. You are eligible for living in your chapter's townhouse regardless of your housing status but it is up to your chapter to set the approval guidelines.
- If you are approved by your chapter to live in the townhouse, you will need to complete your housing application and work with your chapter leadership to select your room in the Greek Village. You will be hand-assigned to your room by our Housing Team.
- If you do not have a room assignment in your townhouse before standard selection, you should select a room in one of the residence halls instead. Not being assigned a room in your chapters house does not exempt you from the residency requirement.
STEP 2 | The Housing Application and $200 Initial Housing Payment is DUE.
Starting at 9 a.m. EST on Nov. 29, 2022, you can fill out the required online Housing Application and pay your $200 Initial Housing Payment through Feb. 20, 2023. More information is listed in Step 1 on this page. This MUST be completed.
Learning Community Housing Guide
If you are a returning student who is a member of a learning community or interested in joining a learning community (LC) next year –and– you would like to live in a room designated to the learning community, please follow the calendar below.
Learning Community Housing Selection Calendar
Nov. 29, 2022 - Feb. 1, 2023 | Renew Learning Community Membership -or- Join A Community
Renew Your Membership -or- Join A Community. Not all learning communities accept returning student membership. Students interested in joining a Learning Community (LC) or renewing their membership, need to follow these steps during this time frame:
- Renew your membership or join a community.
- If you are unsure if your community of choice allows returning members, you can contact the LCs Program Director directly before applying. You can find their contact information by going to bgsu.edu/communities and navigating to your community's website.
Please note: Your required $200 initial housing payment AND learning community renewal must BOTH be completed by Feb. 1 to participate in learning community selection as a returning student.
Nov. 29, 2022 - Feb. 1, 2021 | Online Housing Applications OPEN
Starting at 9 a.m. EST on Nov. 29, 2022, you can fill out the required online Housing Application and pay your $200 Initial Housing Payment through Feb. 1, 2023. More information is listed in Step 1 on this page. This MUST be completed.
Feb. 8 | Learning Community Room Selection Times Emailed After 3 p.m. EST
Learning Community room selection times are emailed. If you have paid your $200 initial housing payment, you will receive a room selection time sent to your BGSU email account after 3 p.m. EST.
LEARNING COMMUNITY ROOM SELECTION | Noon - 5 p.m. EST, Feb. 13 - 16
If all of the above steps are completed on time, you will select your Learning Community (LC) room before everyone else.
In your room selection email you will receive:
- The system will open up for you early so you can select your LC room before standard selection. Your selection time will be assigned based on your community. During this time frame, only your LC rooms will be available to choose from. Important: Connect with your Community Director before selection to receive a list of room numbers assigned to your community.
If you do not select a room during this time, we will assume you prefer to live in a non-LC room, and you will receive an email on March 16 with a room selection time during standard room selection. You should review the tips outlined under standard room selection and confirm if not selecting a LC room jeopardizes your community membership.
If there is a community member you want to live with, complete the room selection group information in your housing application between Nov. 29 - Feb. 1 and you both will be assigned the same room selection time and you can select a community room together.
First, you should confirm your learning community allows you to pull-in roommates who are non-members. Once confirmed, after you select your community room, contact the Office of Residence Life and we will hand-assign your friend to your room. Please note: Your roommate will still need to confirm their room assignment during returning student housing selection (Feb. 28 – March 2) if they are not a member of the learning community.
Updated: 01/04/2023 11:20AM