The following statistics are derived from the Generation Rx Website and the ACHA-NCHA study conducted on BGSU’s campus in the fall of 2012.
- “There were enough prescription opioids (narcotic painkillers) prescribed in 2010 to medicate every adult around the clock for one month.” – Generation Rx Every 15 Minutes Facilitator Notes
- “ 41 % of surveyed teens in 2008 agreed that prescription drugs are safer to use than illegal drugs, even if they are not prescribed by a doctor.” –Generation Rx Every 15 Minutes Facilitator Notes
- Over 70% of prescription drug abusers get them from family members or friends.
- The misuse rate of prescription drugs on BGSU’s campus is 29.6% - ACHA-NCHA Survey
- The perception among students is that 84.8% misused prescription drugs - ACHA-NCHA Survey
- 10% of students are using pain killers not prescribed for them during the past 12 months - ACHA-NCHA Survey
- 12% of students are using stimulants not prescribed for them during the past 12 months - ACHA-NCHA Survey
- 4.4% of students were using sedatives, 2.3% antidepressants, and 0.9% erectile dysfunction drugs not prescribed for them within the past 12 months (2012)- ACHA-NCHA Survey