The application and selection process for the Sidney A. Ribeau President’s Leadership Academy (PLA) is detailed and has several steps. Please read our Admissions Timeline and Program Requirements pages carefully.
Accessing the Application
Applicants for the PLA must first be admitted to BGSU.
Once admitted, click or follow the instructions below to apply.
Alternatively, prospective scholars can access the application by following the steps below.
- Creating their BGSU username and password
- Logging into the MyBGSU portal (https:/my.bgsu.edu)
- Clicking on the financials icon
- Clicking on the scholarship opportunities icon
- Clicking on the opportunities tab at the top of the BGSU scholarship search page
- Searching for the “President’s Leadership Academy”
Completing the Application
The PLA application is connected to the general BGSU scholarship application for current BGSU students. It has several components so do not get discouraged if you cannot fill out every section.
Although you may complete all areas, the only components the selection committee will review are:
- Extracurricular activities, community service, and volunteer involvement – please be as comprehensive as possible
- What do you know about the PLA, why are you interested, and how will you demonstrate PLA values?
- How would others describe you as a servant leader?
The admissions committee will not review other areas of the scholarship application (employment information, essay on goals, aspiration, and career objectives, academic honors, study abroad, or other considerations), so please leave them blank or enter “N/A”. You may return to the application to complete these areas for other BGSU scholarships at a later date.
Tips for Completing the Application:
- The application requires the completion of two essays and a comprehensive list of all of your involvement.
- You can submit up to 10 entries for the extracurricular/community service/and volunteer involvement for the general scholarship application portion. When you you access the PLA-specific portion, you will be able to add additional entries (see details in the sample application link below).
- When completing the essay, thoroughly respond to the prompt. We recommend writing the essay in advance and asking someone you trust to review it and give you feedback.
- The essay should be error free and written clearly. We recommend writing the essay in a word document to check for grammatical and spelling errors then copying and pasting your submission into the application.
- Before submitting your completed application, please review it carefully. You cannot print the application nor can you access the application once it is submitted.
- When submitting, we recommend that you continually
save your work on the application website.
Checklist for Completing the Application
- Apply to BGSU (recommended by November 11, 2017).
- Once admitted, create your BGSU username and password.
- Log into your MyBGSU portal to access the PLA Scholarship Application.
- Draft your essays and compile your list of extracurricular activities.
- File your FAFSA by December 4, 2017
- Submit your application by December 4, 2017
Thank you for your interest in the PLA! If you have questions, please contact us:
Sidney A. Ribeau President’s Leadership Academy