Alumni Focus Corner
PLA Alumni Society Book Scholarship Recipient
The PLA Alumni Society has established a book scholarship to recognize the outstanding commitment and dedication of a scholar directly to the PLA. This award is presented to a freshman, sophomore or junior scholar and the recipient receives a $250 book voucher for use in an upcoming academic semester.
The inaugural winner of the PLA Alumni Society book scholarship was nominated by peers and was described as:
- A calm and unique speaker for the group whose perspective helps the cohort make decisions.
- He has an easy-going attitude that hides his intense drive to always serve others first.
- His amicable nature and humor help bring a smile to people’s faces during difficult times.
- His leadership is not flashy and his influence cannot be overlooked, or overstated.
- He brings tolerance and critical reflection to every group.
- His values drive his actions and he stands as a paragon of virtue
- He places the needs of others higher than his own, and his own humility would prevent him from ever admitting he deserves recognition.
2011-2012 Scholarship Winner
Mr. Samuel Schmitt
Political Science Major/Music Minor
- Philosophy Club
- Student Jazz Association
- Music Ambassadors
- Acapella Choir
- BG Secular Society
- SEARCH Learning Community
- Countless volunteer hours within PLA and the community.
2012-2013 Scholarship Winner
Ms. Jodie Brand
Supply Chain Management Major
- Versailles High School – Versaille, OH
- Honors Program Member
- Delta Sigma Pi Business Fraternity
- Relay for Life
- Dance Marathon
- Residence Life Front Desk Clerk
- PLA Intern for Community Development
- Intern – John Deere