Marine Biology: Life at Sea
Marine Biology: Life at Sea
See you in 2021!
Are you interested in how marine ecosystems work? Do you want to know more about marine animals? BGSU has one of the few marine biology and aquatic science programs in the Midwest where you can explore life at sea! This camp engages students in understanding marine ecology by working closely with the University’s extensive collection of saltwater specimens. Students will also engage in research projects visit Kelley's Island on Lake Erie and explore Marine Animals at the Toledo Zoo.
What kinds of activities do campers get to do?
- Monitor and care for one of the tanks in the marine lab
- Conduct observations, explore streams, and analyze the ecosystem
- Dissect samples of marine life and create and design their own experiments
- Learn from active professionals working in the fields of marine biology and aquatic science
- Field trip and ferry to Kelleys Island on Lake Erie
- Conservation and geology tours
- Field trip to the Toledo Zoo & Aquarium
- Participate in team building activities, games, and recreational events at the Student Recreation Center and Planetarium
Who can attend?
For students who will be entering 10th, 11th, & 12th grade in the fall of 2021.
What does the cost cover?
The cost of $815 dollars (camperships possible) covers all lodging, meals, transportation for field trips and take home materials such as a camp book bag, water bottle and t-shirt. The cost provides camp counselor and chaperone coverage (day/night) throughout the program.
How can I apply?
First, complete the full online form below so that we can learn more about you. Applicants will also have the opportunity to include an optional cover letter and an optional letter of reference. If you choose to have a recommender submit a letter of reference please direct them to the following link: bgsu.edu/falconyouthlor.
This camp is a residential camp. Students are expected to stay for the duration of the camp as often times academic and camp programs will occur into the evening hours.
- Completing the application form & answers to questions
- Letter of Recommendation (Optional)
- Cover Letter (Optional)
Letter of Reference Requirements
- Applicants choosing to include an optional letter of reference should send the following information to the person submitting their letter of reference for them to complete this portion of the application
- Letter of Reference Online Form & Submission Link: bgsu.edu/falconyouthlor
- Fully completed application
- Responses to short-answer questions
- Letter of recommendation
Application Cancellation Policy
- All programs, or camps within a program, may be subject to minimum enrollment and may be canceled if enrollment minimum is not met. In the event of a cancelled program all fees and registration costs will be refunded.
- Campers may withdraw their application at anytime by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
- Date TBD - To be considered for early admission.
- Date TBD - General Application Deadline. * Please note that all spaces may fill after selection from the early admission deadline.
ACCEPTANCE & DEPOSIT
To reserve your seat in camp a $75.00 non-refundable deposit is due within 7 days of receiving your camp acceptance. Participants who do not pay the deposit by the tenth day are removed and placed on the waitlist. A deposit made after the 10th day does not guarantee a seat and must be approved.
- Full payment must be received no less than 8 weeks from the first day of the program.
- Camp Week: TBD Payment Due: TBD
- *Please contact the office to request a payment plan if needed.
Forms will be collected via CampDocs. Information with a link to the site will be sent with your acceptance.
- BGSU Waiver
- BGSU Medical Authorization Form
- BGSU Medical: Permission to Dispense Medication (Used for over the counter medication, tylenol, sinus etc)
- BGSU Media Release
- Camp Rules & Policies
If a registration is canceled, the individual or organization making the original CAMP payment will receive:
- A full refund, minus the deposit will be issued if cancelation is received 6 weeks prior to the start of the program
- A refund of 75% will be issued if cancelation occurs less than 6 weeks but prior to 4 weeks
- A refund of 50% will be issued if cancelation occurs less than 4 weeks but prior to 2 weeks
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the start date of the program.
Students dismissed for disciplinary reasons are not eligible for any refund.