Marine Biology: Aquarium Sciences
See you in 2022!
Applications will open December 2021
Are you interested in how aquatic ecosystems work? Do you want to know more about aquaponics and sustainable food opportunities? Are you an aquarium enthusiast and want to have your own aquarium? Do you love coral reefs or octopus? BGSU has one of the few marine biology and aquatic science programs in the Midwest where you can explore life at sea! This camp engages students in understanding aquarium sciences by working closely with the University’s extensive collection of saltwater specimens. Students will also engage in research projects and explore extensively behind the scenes at the Aquatic Center at the Toledo Zoo.
What kinds of activities do campers get to do?
- Monitor and care for one of the tanks in the marine lab.
- Learn all about aquaponics and the benefit it has in creating sustainable seafood as a food source.
- Learn to set up and maintain an aquarium.
- Study aquarium husbandry for freshwater, marine, and reef systems.
- Engage in coral research and sea urchin embryology research.
- Field trip & behind the scenes tour of the Toledo Zoo & Aquarium Aquatic Center.
- Participate in team building activities, games, and recreational events at the Student Recreation Center.
- Explore what life is like on the campus of Bowling Green State University.
Who can attend?
For students who will be entering eighth through tenth grade in the fall of 2022.
What does the cost cover?
The cost covers all lodging, meals, transportation for field trips and take-home materials such as a camp book bag, water bottle and t-shirt. The cost provides camp counselor and chaperone coverage (day/night) throughout the program.
How can I apply?
First, complete the full online form below so that we can learn more about you. Applicants will also have the opportunity to include an optional cover letter and an optional letter of reference. If you choose to have a recommender submit a letter of reference please direct them to the following link: bgsu.edu/falconyouthlor.
This camp is a residential camp. Students are expected to stay for the duration of the camp as often times academic and camp programs will occur into the evening hours.
- Completing the application form & answers to questions
- Letter of Recommendation (Optional)
- Cover Letter (Optional)
Letter of Reference Requirements
- Applicants choosing to include an optional letter of reference should send the following information to the person submitting their letter of reference for them to complete this portion of the application
- Letter of Reference Online Form & Submission Link: bgsu.edu/falconyouthlor
- Fully completed application
- Responses to short-answer questions
- Letter of recommendation
Application Cancellation Policy
- All programs, or camps within a program, may be subject to minimum enrollment and may be canceled if enrollment minimum is not met. In the event of a cancelled program all fees and registration costs will be refunded.
- Campers may withdraw their application at anytime by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date TBD- To be considered for early admission.
- Date TBD - General Application Deadline. * Please note that all spaces may fill after selection from the early admission deadline.
ACCEPTANCE & DEPOSIT
To reserve your seat in camp a $75.00 non-refundable deposit is due within 7 days of receiving your camp acceptance. Participants who do not pay the deposit by the tenth day are removed and placed on the waitlist. A deposit made after the 10th day does not guarantee a seat and must be approved.
- Full payment must be received no less than 8 weeks from the first day of the program.
- Camp Week 8/2/2020 Payment Due 6/26/2020
- *Please contact the office to request a payment plan if needed.
Forms will be collected via CampDocs. Information with a link to the site will be sent with your acceptance.
- BGSU Waiver
- BGSU Medical Authorization Form
- BGSU Medical: Permission to Dispense Medication (Used for over the counter medication, tylenol, sinus etc)
- BGSU Media Release
- Camp Rules & Policies
If a registration is canceled, the individual or organization making the original CAMP payment will receive:
- A full refund, minus the deposit will be issued if cancelation is received 6 weeks prior to the start of the program
- A refund of 75% will be issued if cancelation occurs less than 6 weeks but prior to 4 weeks
- A refund of 50% will be issued if cancelation occurs less than 4 weeks but prior to 2 weeks
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the start date of the program.
Students dismissed for disciplinary reasons are not eligible for any refund.