June 7 -18, 2021 REGISTER NOW
Do you marvel at the beautiful pictures of stars, gas clouds, and galaxies produced by the Hubble Space Telescope and other astronomical observatories, and wonder how they were taken? Could you learn to take high quality astronomy photographs yourself? BGSU’s Astrophotography camp gives you the experience and skills to do just that.
- By day, campers will learn about how astronomers choose their astrophotography targets, what equipment and software are required to obtain astrophotographs, and what techniques are used to enhance and beautify the resulting images.
- By night, campers will use the 20-inch telescope and digital camera at the BGSU Observatory to acquire and process actual astrophotographs. Campers will also research modern astronomical observatories and share their research with each other to understand what the next-higher level of equipment and techniques brings to the field of astrophotography.
- The camp will contain a mixture of synchronous meeting times and asynchronous elements that will be scheduled in advance over the course of two weeks with evenings reserved for observation times. Not every night will be an observation time as some nights are reserved as backup nights for inclement weather and poor visibility conditions.
What kinds of activities do campers get to do?
- Select astrophotography subjects from the thousands of “deep sky objects” available.
- Plan and conduct several evenings of observing and astrophotography with the BGSU 20-inch telescope.
- Process and stack the resulting images to make high quality astrophotographs that you will keep.
- Research, share and discuss the telescopes and equipment at other, professional observatories.
- Learn your way around the night sky using the planisphere included as part of the camp kit
- Explore the campus of Bowling Green State University [Virtually] and see what life might be like as a future BGSU Student.
Who can attend?
Students entering 9th - 12th grade in fall of 2021 and high school graduates (2021) who are interested in learning more about Astronomy and Astrophotography.
What does the cost cover?
The cost of $185 dollars (camperships possible) covers the webinars, lectures, guest speakers and support for the 2-week program, camp materials including a camp branded crate full of items for the two weeks, including a planisphere and BGSU Astronomy T-shirt.
Camp Kit & Workbook Materials
The Camp Kit will come with all materials needed for the two week long program, including, a planisphere, BGSU Astronomy t-shirt and a camp workbook that includes many of the resources, worksheets, and notes from all of our activities and guest speakers.
How can I apply?
Complete the online form below so that we can learn more about you and your interest in discovering more about astronomy and astrophotography
Application Dates & Deadlines
- Final Deadline to register: May 30, 2021
- All programs, or camps within a program, may be subject to minimum enrollment and may be canceled if enrollment minimum is not met. In the event of a cancelled program all fees and registration costs will be refunded.
- Campers may withdraw their application anytime.
- Deposits are non-refundable
ACCEPTANCE & DEPOSIT
To reserve your seat in camp a $75.00 non-refundable deposit is due within 7 days of receiving your camp acceptance. Participants who do not pay the deposit by the seventh day are removed and placed on the waitlist. A deposit made after the 10th day does not guarantee a seat and must be approved.
- Full payment must be received no less than 4 weeks from the first day of the program.
- Camp Week June 7 Payment Due May 7
- *Please contact the office to request a payment plan if needed.
Forms will be collected via CampDocs. Information with a link to the site will be sent with your acceptance.
- BGSU Waiver
- BGSU Media Release
- Camp Rules & Policies
If a registration is canceled, the individual or organization making the original CAMP payment will receive:
- A full refund, minus the deposit will be issued if cancelation is received 6 weeks prior to the start of the program
- A refund of 75% will be issued if cancelation occurs less than 6 weeks but prior to 4 weeks
- A refund of 50% will be issued if cancelation occurs less than 4 weeks but prior to 2 weeks
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the start date of the program.
Students dismissed for disciplinary reasons are not eligible for any refund.