Astronomy: Hunting for Exoplanets
Astronomy: Hunting for Exoplanets
Summer 2021 Dates TBD
Do you look up at the night sky and wonder, “are we alone?” Are there planets orbiting around stars other than the Sun – exoplanets – and could they harbor life? BGSU’s Astronomy camp gives you the experience and skills to address these questions. By day, campers will learn about how astronomers hunt for exoplanets through hands-on experiments that highlight the strengths and shortcomings of the methods astronomers use in this search. By night, campers will use the facilities at the BGSU Observatory to view the night sky (when clear) and watch astronomy shows and movies in the BGSU planetarium (when cloudy). By the end of the session, campers will have a clearer view of these challenging questions, and a better understanding of how astronomers and other physical scientists perform research about the natural world.
What kinds of activities do campers get to do?
- Perform hands-on laboratory activities to simulate and understand how astronomers determine distances to planets and stars, determine their sizes, and detect exoplanets.
- Use astronomical data to detect and characterize the properties of an exoplanet system.
- Research and present what we know – and don’t yet know – about the exoplanets orbiting around a star you select.
- View and discuss full-dome astronomy shows and movies in BGSU’s planetarium.
- Use the 20-inch and 8-inch telescopes at BGSU’s Observatory to view the night sky.
- Explore the campus of Bowling Green State University and see what life might be like as a future BGSU Student.
Who can attend?
High School Students entering 10th, 11th & 12th grade in the fall of 2021.
What does the cost cover?
The camp cost of $485 dollars covers all lodging, meal and program expenses. The cost also covers take home materials such as a camp book bag, water bottle and t-shirt along with camp counselor coverage (day/night) throughout the program.
How can I apply?
First, complete the full online form below so that we can learn more about you. You may also submit a letter of recommendation, often from a teacher, guidance counselor, coach or youth leader for this camp with your application (This is NOT required).
Your reccommendar can send in your letter via the following link: bgsu.edu/falconyouthlor. Applicants will also have the opportunity to include an optional cover letter.
This camp is a residential camp. Students are expected to stay for the duration of the camp as often times academic and camp programs will occur into the evening hours.
- Completing the application form & answers to questions
- Letter of Recommendation (Optional)
- Cover Letter (Optional)
Letter of Reference Information
- If sending a letter of reference applicants should provide the following information to the person submitting their letter for them to complete
- Letter of Reference Online Form & Submission Link: bgsu.edu/falconyouthlor
- Fully completed application
- Responses to short-answer questions
Application Cancellation Policy
- All programs, or camps within a program, may be subject to minimum enrollment and may be canceled if enrollment minimum is not met. In the event of a cancelled program all fees and registration costs will be refunded.
- Campers may withdraw their application at anytime by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
Deadline for early admission TBD / Final Sections TBD
*Please note that camp may fill after selections from the first application phase. It is important to apply early.
ACCEPTANCE & DEPOSIT
To reserve your seat in camp a $75.00 non-refundable deposit is due within 10 days of receiving your camp acceptance. Participants who do not pay the deposit by the tenth day are removed and placed on the waitlist.
A deposit made after the 10th day does not guarantee a seat and must be approved.
- Full payment must be received no less than 8 weeks from the first day of the program.
- Camp Week: TBD Payment Due: TBD
- *Please contact the office to request a payment plan if needed.
Forms will be collected via CampDocs. Information with a link to the site will be sent with your acceptance.
- BGSU Waiver
- BGSU Medical Authorization Form
- BGSU Medical: Permission to Dispense Medication (Used for over the counter medication, tyenol, sinus etc)
- BGSU Media Release
- Camp Rules & Policies
If a registration is canceled, the individual or organization making the original CAMP payment will receive:
- A full refund, minus the deposit will be issued if cancelation is received 6 weeks prior to the start of the program
- A refund of 75% will be issued if cancelation occurs less than 6 weeks but prior to 4 weeks
- A refund of 50% will be issued if cancelation occurs less than 4 weeks but prior to 2 weeks
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the start date of the program.
Students dismissed for disciplinary reasons are not eligible for any refund.