Although you may have found a perfect place to live, do not rush to sign the lease. You should read through the lease to make sure all terms are well defined and written in clear and concise language. You have the right to edit the lease before signing.
These are some common issues that should be specified in the
- The amount of rent
- The length of the rental period
- Amount of security deposit & return date
- Who is responsible for repairs
- Which repairs will be done by the landlord
- Whether subleasing is allowed, and under what terms
- When a landlord may enter your property
The bottom line is simple: Read the lease carefully BEFORE you sign it and have Student Legal Services review it for you!