Math Camp is an energetic and active day of team work, problem solving, and development of skills. Students engage in fun filled experiences about mathematics, the connections between mathematics and the real world, and mathematicians all in a camp atmosphere where there is song, dance, and silliness. Each math camp is specifically designed by the preservice teachers of the Bowling Green Council of Teachers of Mathematics (BGCTM) at BGSU with oversight from BGSU’s mathematics education faculty.
- Aligned with the Common Core and New Ohio Learning Standards for Mathematics.
- The BGCTM preservice teachers work with each schools liaison to identify specific areas of mathematical need for the students in order to design a worthwhile and focused camp experience.
Research has shown that students who attend BGCTM Math Camp’s demonstrate statistically significant improvement
- in their mathematical self-efficacy
- are more comfortable with mathematics
- become more flexible in their problem solving strategies
“Math camp was an amazing experience for our students. The students were actively engaged in the activities and tasks that were given to them. Many students stated that they wanted to have Math Camp every Saturday. They loved everything about it; especially the dances and competing with a team.”
- Tami Matney, K-8 Mathematics Coach, Imagine Clay Avenue Schools
Cost: $1,000 for a full day event with up to 60 students (preferably from the same grade or group of grades).
Dates: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for availability. Suggest dates that work for your school and we will determine if a date works for our student volunteers.