In our society we are surrounded with language and behavior that has developed through a history of stereotypes and prejudices. Following the creation of Not In Our Town, the Office of Multicultural Affairs and the Center for Leadership collaboratively developed the iSTAND Advocacy training program. iSTAND teaches participants practical skills for addressing micro aggressions in our society and to stand up and advocate for others. From 2013 – 2017 over 750 BGSU faculty, staff, and students have completed the iSTAND training! More information can be found here.
Ways to Get Involved
The mission of Not In Our Town Bowling Green is to guide, support and inspire people to work together to stop hate and build safe, inclusive environments for all. Here are the various ways you can help support Not In Our Town:
- Like our Facebook page, Not In Our Town Bowling Green.
- Take the Pledge, wear a button, or purchase a t-shirt at the BGSU Bookstore.
- Volunteer for upcoming activities or attend the monthly meeting to share your ideas about programs/events.
- Contact the group if you know of an organization that may want to hear a brief presentation about Not In Our Town Bowling Green and/or watch and discuss the film: A Bowling Green Legacy, which was created through a Department of Justice grant.
- Donate to the Not In Our Town fund that was created through the BGSU Foundation and is tax -deductible.
We encourage all members of the City of Bowling Green and the BGSU communities to join us in taking the Not In Our Town Pledge today and become involved in this effort.
For more information, please contact Not In Our Town at NIOT@bgsu.edu.
BGSU and the City of Bowling Green join together to affirm their commitment to social justice, equity and inclusion as well as embrace and celebrate diversity. In joining together, we both have adopted the “Not In Our Town” slogan and agreed to be a part of the Not In Our Town movement.
Not In Our Town was launched in 1995, and grew as a result of a PBS documentary that highlighted the efforts of Billings, Montana citizens who stood up for their neighbors after a series of hate crimes. Today, the Not In Our Town campaign has catalyzed a diverse grassroots movement that has inspired hundreds of communities in the United States and around the world to take action against hate.
Not In Our Town’s mission is to guide, support and inspire people and communities to work together to stop hate and build safe, inclusive environments for all. BGSU and the City of Bowling Green are committed to the goals and ideals of this effort.
We encourage all members of the BGSU and City of Bowling Green communities to join us in taking the Not In Our Town Pledge today and becoming involved in this effort!
Bowling Green State University Core Values
- Respect for one another
- Intellectual and personal growth
- Creativity and innovation
- Pursuit of excellence
Live, learn, and build community without these values? Not In Our Town.
Not In Our Town helps inspire, empower, and connect individuals and groups working together to counter hate, both online and on the ground.