The Office of Multicultural Affairs encourages you to apply for the 2018 Manny Vadillo Scholarship. The scholarship winner will be announced at the 2018 Latino/a/x Issues Conference on March 21, 2018.
Note: To Apply you will need to Login with BGSU credentials, join the Office of Multicultural Affairs Orgsync page, and fill out application.
Deadline is March 5, 2018.
- Applicant must be a continuing undergraduate Latino student attending BGSU full-time fall or spring semester.
- Current cumulative GPA requirement 3.0.
- Applicant must submit a 1-2 page word document narrative explaining any campus or community service projects in the Latino community or participated in, and describe how it impacted in a positive approach towards the quality of your life at BGSU.
- Applicant must have financial need as determined by Student Financial Aid.
- A resume is recommended.
- Applicants are evaluated based on academic achievements, the required essay, community service, and campus involvement.
Manuel "Manny" Vadillo, served as the Senior Associate Director for the Center for Multicultural and Academic Initiatives (now the Office of Multicultural Affairs). Manny supervised professional staff and provided direction and leadership for the daily operations of the Center. He directed a monthly lecture series, taught UNIV 100 classes, and diversity workshops. In addition, he was a part-time instructor in the Department of Ethnic Studies, served as Chair of the BGSU's Latino Networking Committee of Staff and Faculty, and supported the Latino Student Union. While he is no longer active in the daily life of BGSU, he has strong ties to the university and the Latino community of Bowling Green, Ohio. In 1994, he co-founded the Latino Issues Conference. Five years later, he co-founded the Black Issues Conference. When interviewed about the Latino Issues Conference, Manny said, “This conference is a vehicle through which we are trying to share with the rest of the world that Latinos are an intricate part of society.
- Minimum second semester BGSU freshman with 12 credit hours completed at BGSU.
- Continuing BGSU undergraduate student enrolled full-time the subsequent academic year (i.e. Fall 2018).
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA with demonstrated community service.
- A completed FAFSA on file at the Student Financial Aid Office.
Applications will be accepted until January 16, 2018. Award amounts will vary annually and will be posted for the 2018-2019 academic year financial aid. Applicants are evaluated based on academic achievement, essay, community service, campus involvement, recommendations, and financial need as determined by the selection committee. If selected, recipients must attend the MLK Spoken Words, Songs, and Theatre January 31, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. in University Hall - Presentation Room .
Apply for the 2018 MLK Scholarship
Return completed application, resume, essay, and two names of references to:
MLK Scholarship Committee
The Office of Multicultural Affairs
318-B Math Science Building
Bowling Green State University,
Bowling Green, Ohio 43403
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Multicultural Affairs, 419-372-2642.
This page is a guide to all of BGSU's scholarship resources. Choose which kind of scholarship you are looking for below and where to apply for each one.
Read the criteria carefully because many of the scholarships encourage and/or require student involvement in multicultural organizations and are not necessarily based on ethnic or racial group membership.
Contact the Office of Multicultural Affairs at 419-372-2642 if you need assistance.