Your communication manager is your consultant for any initiative that promotes Bowling Green State University. A general rule of the thumb is to include CMs for external and University wide initiatives. If you are unsure about a project, we encourage you to reach out. The CMs are a great resource and want to be included early in the planning phase.
Strategy and Planning
Include your communication manager early in the planning phase. The CMs are looped into University-wide conversations and can ensure that your project fits into the overall University plan. They can ensure your initiative receives maximum exposure through all of the University channels.
Sharing Your Story
Marketing and Communications is responsible for Strategic Objective Six in the Focus on the Future Strategic Plan. Letting your communication manager know about student success, faculty research, alumni news and stories that pertain to public good is important in helping achieve this goal. There is also an online submission form to share success happening in your areas.
University Logos and Branding Guidelines
Review the Graphics Standards Manual for basic information regarding logos and branding guidelines. Your CM can answer any additional questions.
Event support is provided by Marketing & Communications. Please reach out to your CM in advance of your event to discuss staging, setup, promotions and M&C involvement.
Read our Event Scope of Work
Campus Update and BGSU Calendar
You can promote your event or program through Campus Update by completing the Campus Update Submission Form.
- Catchy headline with a purpose
- Provide the who, what, where, when, why
- Call to action
- If you are planning an event, be sure to add it to the BGSU calendar.
The CM will work with the M&C news team to pitch stories to the media. It is also important that M&C know about faculty experts in each of the colleges as we receive calls from the media almost daily requesting industry experts. If a media person reaches out, always loop in your communication manager before talking with the person.
If you are considering a social media account, talk with your CM to determine the necessity. The University has many social media accounts and individual accounts are not always warranted. To be effective with social media, you need a strong following, continuous messages and unique content. Your CM can help you decide the best route based on your audience and goals. Oftentimes, it is best to utilize the main BGSU accounts because of their large following.
CMs are working to create 15, 30 and 90 second interstitials (or commercials) to air on WBGU. The focus of the interstitials is to showcase how BGSU is impacting the communities in the WBGU viewing area. Share ideas with your CM.
CMs can assist with all types of printing projects—from posters, to signage, to brochures, to displays. Printing projects can take anywhere from three to six weeks depending on the complexity of the project.
- If you need promotional items, review University purchasing guidelines and their preferred vendors which include Image Group, Proforma, Halo or Falcon Outfitters.
- You can request artwork through marketing and communications, if needed.
- If you wish to simply use a university logo or logotype on a promotional item, please visit the University’s Graphics Standards Manual. Included in the graphics standards manual are official colors, official logos and logotypes, proper use of logos and standards for social media and stationary.
- Your CM is available to help coordinate, if needed.