Device Administrator Rights
Information Technology Services (ITS) recognizes the need for select users across campus to have administrative rights to their individual or department computers.
- All systems on campus will have an ITS device administrator account active at all times.
- When possible, device administrator rights will be granted via a local user account and not to a domain account.
- The device administrator will not elevate any user's domain account credentials.
- Device administrator rights will be evaluated on a faculty or staff member’s primary job responsibilities.
- Administrative rights will be granted to:
- Maintain system integrity
- Run software that requires administrative rights
- Modify only needed system settings
Individuals that have been granted device administrator rights are responsible for the integrity of each computer. If a computer under the control of the device administrator is compromised with or without the loss of University data, granting additional accounts administrative rights, or unsecure computing, ITS reserves the right to remove the device administrator rights.
Individuals with administrator rights are also responsible for following the terms and conditions of the software they install. They may be financially liable if found to be in violation of the software terms and conditions.
Individuals will uphold all university policies, and will use administrator rights for university business purposes, not for personal business.