Identity Management Upgrade
What is Identity Management?
An identity management system is an enterprise application that serves as a “central source of truth” for management of end user identity and access information. Nearly every campus IT resource/application references the identity management system to ensure secure and appropriate access to systems and data.
The identity management system houses data such as user IDs, attributes, access levels, licensing information, and encompasses all BGSU user identity types (student, faculty, staff, affiliates, alumni, emeritus, etc.).
Time for An Upgrade
BGSU's current identity management system is set to reach end-of-support in December 2021. In addition to this impending date, the current system has limited capabilities, requires expensive 3rd party assistance for changes and no longer meets or supports up-to-date data security protocols or practices. Upgrading this system would entail starting from scratch resulting in significant expense and development time.
Thus, a project is in place to replace the existing system so that end user authentication, management, and IT resource security can be streamlined and enhanced.
- October 2020 - August 2021
- Implementation on an application-by-application basis to minmize risk; starting with test systems.
- Timeline will be cognizant of critical university activities such as registration, start of school, etc.
|Okta Configuration||PeopleSoft API||Account Creation||Account Migration||Directory Integration|
|SS0 Application Integration/Preview|
|Training||Go Live||SSO Application Integration|
User Experience & Benefits
- Similar authentication method including Duo Two Factor Authentication.
- Leverage cloud services for maximum uptime and flexibility.
- Increased speed and efficiency in onboarding new students, faculty, and staff.
- Streamlined workflows and automation can occur between disparate systems.
- Enhanced security authentication criteria can be applied to all users further protecting data and other critical resources.
- Enhanced end user self-service capabilities to minimize support calls.
SSO Integrated Applications in Test:
- LifeRay (Portal)
- Transact (eAccounts)
Last Updated 6/2/2021
To change your password for BGSU test systems that have been converted to the new Identity Management system:
- Navigate to a https://logintest.bgsu.edu/.
- Log in with your BGSU production username and password.
- Select your name.
- Select Settings.
- Locate the Change Password section
- Enter your current/production password.
- Enter the new password you would like to use twice.
- Select Change Password.
- You will receive email confirmation that your password has been change and you should now be able to log in to these test environments with your new password.
After the switch is made, the SSO log in page and associated URLs will look slightly different.