Hoskins Global Scholar Program
Now accepting applications for the 2018-2019 school year.This application is open for students who are studying abroad during Winter Session 2019 or Summer 2019.
BGSU graduate Mike Hoskins, class of ‘77, recognizes the importance of international engagement if students are to understand today’s diverse and connected world. In order to be marketable to employers upon graduation, students need to participate in international experiential learning to gain new skills, new perspectives, and new immersive experiences.
The Hoskins Global Scholars Program will provide $5000 for up to 3 students per year to participate in a 3-4 week international experience during Winter Session 2019 or Summer 2019, to a country that is not native to the student. The scholarship will cover transportation costs to and from the study abroad destination; any additional housing/board/tuition costs above that which would be paid if they were staying at BGSU, and financial support to allow the scholar to participate in an immersive academic experience. This enrichment experience is an independent study experience; however the student must be registered for at least 3 credits. Students can consider an international internship, research project, service project or creative activity. The student will identify a full-time faculty member as a mentor for the project, who will receive an additional $2000 honorarium.
Recipients must share their experiences upon return to campus by participating in the Hoskins Global Scholars presentation day and additional formal and informal presentations. This could be an exhibition, a publication, presentation or some other competitive submission. Scholars may be eligible to win an additional award of funds for “first-in-class.”
Applicants who propose the same project for both the Hoskins Global Scholar Program and the Givens Award cannot receive both scholarships, if selected.
- Full-time student in good standing. Preference given to sophomores, juniors or graduate students. (Students should return to campus after the semester abroad.)
- GPA minimum of 3.2 GPA and/or be a member of the Honors College
- A proposal for an additional immersive academic experience of at least 3 weeks
- Preference given to non-traditional destinations abroad
- Preference for little or no previous study abroad experience.
Applicants must submit:
- The Hoskins Global Scholars Program online application
- A current resume
- A statement of purpose
- A statement of risk analysis/mitigation
- A recommendation from the faculty or staff member who will serve as mentor and evaluate the enrichment experience
- HSRB approval for research involving human or animal subjects