Supervisory Responsibilities for Telecommuting
Best Practices for Managing Virtual Employees
REVIEW TECHNOLOGY NEEDS AND RESOURCES
- Ensure employees know how to obtain technical support as needed and have access to the tools they need to conduct remote work.
- Confirm that employees know how to use, and have access to, WebEx, Cisco Jabber and/or set up call forwarding and/or how to access their voicemail remotely.
- Determine methods of communication with your team and clarify expectations for online availability.
DEVELOP A WORK PLAN
- Identify in conjunction with staff, the expectations and work through details together.
- Identify the mission critical and routine work responsibilities/tasks that can and cannot be fulfilled while working remotely and how it will impact operations or other people.
- Identify the mission critical and responsibilities/tasks that require regular communication and collaboration with others. Proactively contact each other to confirm how you will communicate while everyone is working remotely.
REVIEW WORK SCHEDULES
- Telework can be confused with flex work. Be clear about your expectations with employees for maintaining their current work schedule.
- Encourage them to track their tasks/completions/projects in their calendar.
- Encourage them to set daily goals, track them and share their progress.
- Set expectations with your team and make yourself available via Jabber, phone and email, as well as, video-conferencing, when you are working from home just as you would in the office.
- Express to staff they are to work when they are scheduled to work and report any time they are taking leave.
MAKE A COMMUNICATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY PLAN
- Conduct regular check-ins and communicate how quickly they are expected to respond while telecommuting
- Identify how staff should send updates on work plan progress and what those updates include.
- When video conferencing, wear appropriate attire.
For additional questions or directions, please reach out to the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com or 419-372-8421