Non-Continuing Appointment Hiring Information & Forms
Non-Continuing Appointment Hiring Information and Forms
BGSU uses the Non-Continuing Appointment as a means for departments to employ an individual for a limited period of time. Parameters of the contract include:
- Limited contract not to exceed one year in duration; the contract expires on the ending date of employment and all work must cease.
- Appointment can be written for up to 24 hours per week.
- All positions are paid on the bi-weekly pay schedule.
- Hourly amount is based upon position's duties. The Office of Human Resources may be consulted if you have questions.
Although it is not necessary to advertise or publicly recruit for these positions, BGSU encourages your unit to engage in a recruitment process to keep the hiring process competitive based on BGSU's commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity principles. For additional information, please consult with the Office of Human Resources.
Once the department is ready to begin the recruitment for a job and before hiring an individual (this process may take up to 30 days), the following steps should be followed:
- Once a decision to hire has been made, the Non-Continuing Appointment Contract or the Non-Continuing Athletic Internship Appointment Contract should be completed by the department and forwarded for all of the appropriate signatures, including the area Contracting Officer, the Director of Budgets and area of the Vice President/President. All forms going to the Provost for signature will have an Affordable Care Act (ACA) review performed by Human Resources.
- The Vice President or President's Office will return the contract to the originating department.
- The department will send the contract to the appointee for a signature of acceptance of the appointment. All appropriate documents required to complete the hiring process should also be sent with the contract. For returning employees who have at least a 30 day separation from BGSU, they must fill out all forms as if a new hired employee.
- Please make sure that all documents are returned to the Office of Human Resources in a timely fashion so that the incumbent can be processed prior to the beginning date of employment. This insures that the incumbent will have the ability for proper time and labor access, system access (if needed) and payment.
Any questions regarding this process should be referred to the Office of Human Resources at 419-372-8421.