Non-Continuing Appointment Hiring Information & Forms
Non-Continuing Appointment Hiring Information and Forms
BGSU uses the Non-Continuing Appointment as a means for departments to employ an individual for a limited period of time. Parameters of the contract include:
- Limited contract not to exceed one year in duration; the contract expires on the ending date of employment and all work must cease. Early terminations should be entered into the Self-Service Manager Dashboard as soon as you are notified and the original resignation letter should be sent to OHR.
- Appointment can be written for up to 24 hours per week.
- All positions are paid on the bi-weekly pay schedule.
- Hourly amount is based upon position's duties. The Office of Human Resources may be consulted if you have questions.
Although it is not necessary to advertise or publicly recruit for these positions, BGSU encourages your unit to engage in a recruitment process to keep the hiring process competitive based on BGSU's commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity principles. For additional information, please consult with the Office of Human Resources.
Once the department is ready to begin the recruitment for a job and before hiring an individual (this process may take up to 30 days), the following steps should be followed:
- Once a decision to hire has been made, the Non-Continuing Appointment Contract or the Non-Continuing Athletic Internship Appointment Contract should be completed by the department and forwarded for all of the appropriate signatures, including the area Contracting Officer, the Director of Budgets and area of the Vice President/President. All forms going to the Provost for signature will have an Affordable Care Act (ACA) review performed by Human Resources.
- The Vice President or President's Office will return the contract to the originating department.
- The department will send the contract to the appointee for a signature of acceptance of the appointment. All appropriate documents required to complete the hiring process can be found in the New Hire page of the Office of Human Resources website and should be completed by the appointee. An appointment should be made with the Office of Human Resources for the appointee to submit their completed new hire forms and complete their I-9 prior to the beginning date of employment. For returning employees who have at least a 30 day separation from BGSU, they must fill out all forms as if a new hired employee.
- Please ensure that the contract for the appointee is received in the Office of Human Resources prior to the scheduling of the appointment with the new employee.
- Allow for 2 - 3 days for processing within OHR. At that time, HR will advise the supervisor of the ID number when it is active for myBGSU access. Time and Labor will be available after an overnight process.
For appointments or questions regarding this process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 419-372-8421.