Incoming Student Honors Application
Honors Application for High School Seniors
To be considered for the Honors College all students must submit a complete application. The application is online for incoming freshmen and it is available below for continuing/transfer students. The complete application includes information about your academic work, interests and activities, and includes 2 short answer questions and 1 essay question.
The Honors Application for Fall 2019 is now closed. The Honors application for Fall 2020 will open on August 1, 2019. If you are an incoming student and haven't applied to the Honors College, know that you can apply as a current student after your first semester at BGSU by completing the Current Student Application.
Apply to the Honors College by January 15th to be eligible for the Honors Experience Study Abroad Scholarship.
Because each application is reviewed holistically, Honors admissions decisions can take up to 8 weeks. You will receive notification about your decision in the mail.
What are we looking for in an applicant?
Reviewers are looking to get to know you as an application. An ideal honors student will show us their curiosity, passion, motivation, and drive. We look not only for your past accomplishments, but your future potential when joining the Honors College. Outstanding applicants to the Honors College take risks, display self-motivation and reflection throughout their application. We take a holistic approach to reviewing applications, so there is no GPA and test score which will guarantee you admission to the Honors College, but there is also no GPA and test score which will count you out.
Accepted students typically have:
- A strong academic record.
- Thoughtful essays.
- Exemplify critical thinking and creativity throughout their application.
- Demonstrate interests and passions through activities, community engagement, work, etc.
- Show a commitment to diverse ideas and people.
Tips for Honors application
- Tell a Story with your application. The Honors College Application, as well as any scholarship applications should tell a story about you that include your passions, interests, and personality. Find ways to show your story through your activities, your essays, and the classes you have chosen to take.
- Take your time on the application. I can easily tell who has rushed in an application, and who has taken time and thought about prompts.
- Try to find ways to show us your true self – don’t just say what you think we want to hear
- Find a unique perspective in your essay
- Let us know what you are passionate about – what makes you want to get up in the morning? Let us know about it even if it doesn’t fit into a specific box.
- Explain any struggles that might be showing on your application. We want to know the full story so we can make an informed decision.
- Develop your ideas for the main essay. A single-paragraph essay simply is not a sufficient response to the prompt that we have given you.
Tip: Apply by Thanksgiving break, so you don’t miss any opportunities for scholarships! Even if you aren’t sure you are coming to BGSU, you should still apply to the Honors College to be eligible for all of the opportunities. Being accepted to the Honors College doesn’t commit you to BGSU or the Honors College – it just gives you options.
The Honors College application is only available online for incoming students. If you do not have access to a computer, please call the Honors College at 419-372-8504 and we can send you a paper application.