Analytics - 2020-21 Graduate Catalog
Master of Science in Analytics (MSA)*
*Approved for affiliation as a Professional Science Master's (PSM) degree by the Commission on Affiliation of PSM Programs
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Master’s degree, students in the Analytics program are expected to be able to:
- Analyze data using statistical and operations research techniques pertaining to descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics.
- Apply computer algorithmic, data base management, and business intelligence techniques using software and hardware platforms pertaining to big data analytics.
- Implement project management skills necessary to manage the scope, time, cost, and quality of analytic projects.
- Evaluate how analytics are applied to critical tasks facing business decision-making.
- Communicate effectively orally, in writing and through the use of creative data presentation and visualization.
Prerequisites to Graduate Work
The MSA program requires at least one college-level course in each of the following areas: calculus, statistics, and computer programming. These prerequisites may also be satisfied with significant professional experience or as determined by the MSA Program Committee.
- Completed online application.
- Scanned copies of official or unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended. Upon admission, final official or notarized copies of transcripts from all institutions where degrees were earned (showing dates when the degrees were conferred) and diplomas from international institutions must be submitted.
- Minimum of a 3.0 undergraduate grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 grading scale is strongly recommended. The Graduate College requires a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.75 out of 4.0 or the equivalent for regular admission.
- Official scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). The GRE/GMAT requirement may be waived for applicants with: five or more years of related professional work experience, a BGSU undergraduate degree in a related field with a 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher, or a prior awarded graduate degree (from a US regionally accredited institution) in a related field. Final decisions on waiver requests will be made by the MSA Program Director and/or MSA Program Committee. To request the waiver, applicants should send a detailed request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Statement of Purpose evaluating your preparation for graduate study in analytics and describing how the MSA program aligns with your professional objectives.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from individuals who have an understanding of your academic and/or professional accomplishments.
- Current resume outlining educational background, leadership activities, community service, work experience, and any awards or honors.
- International applicants must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
The MSA program requires a total of 33 semester hours.
MSA 5020 – Regression Analysis (3 credits)
MSA 5400 – Database Management (3 credits)
MSA 5470 – Exploratory Data Analysis (3 credits)
MSA 6010 – Decision Optimization (3 credits)
MSA 6701 – Analytics Project I (1 credit)
MSA 5160 – Time Series Analysis and Forecasting (3 credits)
MSA 5600 - Business Intelligence (3 credits)
MSA 6400 – Data Mining (3 credits)
MSA 6500 – Big Data Analytics (3 credits)
MSA 6702 – Analytics Project II (1 credit)
MSA 6450 – Advanced Data Analytics (3 credits)
MSA 6600 – Project Management (3 credits)
MSA 6703 – Analytics Project III (1 credit)
Please access graduate courses online by clicking the “Browsing Course Catalog” button at http://www.bgsu.edu/registration-records/courses-and-classes/class-course-information.html.
Graduate courses offered in the MS in Analytics program use the prefix: MSA.