Women's Gender and Sexuality Studies (Archived 2016-17 Graduate Catalog)
School Director: Angela Nelson
Graduate Coordinator: Sandra Faulkner
Address: 228 Shatzel Hall
Program Web Page: https://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/cultural-and-critical-studies/womens-gender-and-sexuality-studies/graduate.html
Graduate Program Offered
Certificate in Women’s Studies
Graduate work in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies may be pursued several ways. Students may complete the graduate certificate in conjunction with another graduate program or as a stand-alone credential.
Prerequisites to Graduate Work
Students who wish to be admitted to the graduate certificate program in Women’s Studies must meet at least one of the following requirements:
· Be enrolled in a graduate program at BGSU
Or, for the stand-alone certificate:
· Hold a bachelor degree with a 3.0 minimum grade point average
· Have completed a graduate degree in any area.
Applicants seeking admission to the graduate program in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies should follow the instructions outlined in the Graduate Admission section of this Graduate Catalog. All application materials should be sent to the Graduate Admissions Office.
In addition, applicants should review the admissions requirements specific to the program to which they seek admission.
The certificate program consists of five courses including:
· WS 6200, Feminist Theory (3 credits)
All students who do not have substantial undergraduate and graduate course work in Women’s Studies or Feminist Studies should take WS 6100 before taking WS 6200. If you have any questions about your qualifications, please contact the Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Graduate Coordinator.
· Four 3-credit elective courses that focus on Women's Studies, gender, and/or sexuality. These courses should demonstrate a broad interdisciplinary course of study and are approved by the Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Graduate Coordinator.
· WS 7860, Independent Study in Women's Studies (1 credit). Students work one-on-one with a faculty advisor to complete their final capstone project
For a list of the approved Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program courses, please see: https://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/cultural-and-critical-studies/womens-gender-and-sexuality-studies/graduate.html
Please access graduate courses online by clicking the “Browsing Course Catalog” button at http://www.bgsu.edu/registration-records/courses-and-classes/class-course-information.html. Graduate courses offered by the Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program use the prefix: WS.