Housing Assignments

3341-2-18 Housing Assignments

All University Units

Responsible Unit:
Office of Residence Life

Policy Administrator:
Director of Residence Life

(A) Policy Statement and Purpose

The purpose is to articulate to students living in on campus housing who is required to live on campus, the exceptions for living on campus, when and how room assignments are allotted and/or changes by the Office of Residence Life, as well as how students can initiate a room change.

(B) Policy

(1) Acceptance Agreement

All students living in University residences sign an Acceptance Agreement for the full academic year. This agreement establishes the terms and conditions of occupancy in the university residences between the room occupant and Bowling Green State University. All residents are expected to review and understand the obligations outlined in this agreement.

(2) ADA Accommodations

Inquiries for disability-related housing accommodations should be made to the Office of Disability Services. Current students are expected to renew their status with Disability Services on an annual basis prior to the beginning of the housing sign-up process. Upon review of the Student's documentation, Disability Services will make a recommendation to the Office of Residence Life regarding the Student's approved accommodations. Students with disabilities who require emergency evacuation assistance may meet with the Office of Disability Services to complete a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan. The Office of Disability Services will share the Emergency Evacuation Plan with the Office of Residence Life, BGSU Police, and other emergency response agencies. This plan must be updated annually with the Office of Disability Services. Students with a disability may request a meeting, at move-in, with the Hall Director to discuss all approved accommodations including emergency notification, personal care attendants (see full policy), emergency evacuation plans, sheltering locations, and evacuation options. The Office of Disability Services is located at 38 College Park Office Building and can be reached via phone at 419-372-8495. 

(3) Administrative Reassignment

Under the terms of the Acceptance Agreement, Bowling Green State University reserves the right to permanently move and reassign students should it be deemed appropriate to do so. Students may be moved or reassigned in response to a bias incident, student conduct, safety and security, roommate conflicts, facility needs, consolidation, and any other reason deemed appropriate by the Office of Residence Life.

(4) Residency Requirement

There are many benefits to living on campus at BGSU. For this reason, all first- and second-year students are required to reside in university-owned residences as a condition of enrollment. Exemptions from this policy may be granted for first- and second year students who:

(a) Have lived on campus for four semesters.

(b) Are commuting daily from the permanent homes of their parents, legal guardian or spouse, located within a fifty mile radius of BGSU.

(i) Please note that the Office of Residence Life considers the permanent home address of the student’s parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to be the address-of-record on file with federal, state and local tax agencies and where a minimum of one of the student’s parent(s) or legal guardian(s) reside.

(ii) Students who qualify to reside off-campus under this clause are required to complete a Residential Verification Form available in the Office of Residence Life. Please note that providing false information to the university is a violation of the Code of Student Conduct. 

(c) Have attained junior-level status by the first day of the fall semester.

(d) Are 20 years of age or older by the first day of the fall semester.

(e) Are married (proof of marriage required).

(f) Are a parent with custodial care responsibilities (proof of custodial care required).

(g) Are considered an independent student (as determined by the Office of Financial Aid) by the first day of the fall semester.

(h) Have served in a full-time capacity in the military for thirty consecutive months or longer.

(i) The student is transferring to BGSU, has been out of high school for a minimum of two years, and has completed at least 12 credit hours at an accredited institution of higher education post high school graduation.

(5) Room Assignments

When making room assignments, the Office of Residence Life cannot discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. The Office of Residence Life reserves the right, if the need arises, to reassign students to other residences or rooms/suites/apartments within a building for room consolidation, vacancies, maintenance or safety issues, policy violations or disruption of the living environment.

(6) Room/Suite/Apartment Changes

Room/suite/apartment changes, including moves made within suites or apartments, must be initiated with the supervisor of the residence prior to moving. Room changes between university residences must be initiated with the supervisor of a residence before a new room assignment will be offered. A short period is established at the opening of each semester during which no room/suite/apartment or residence changes are made. Requests for room assignment changes will not be honored for reasons involving age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or religion.

Registered Date: March 12, 2015
Amended Date: September 15, 2016