For almost 15 years, BGSU has been utilizing a system called “AlertBG” to reach students and the campus community in the event of an emergency.
AlertBG is only used in emergencies or severe weather closures, such as a tornado warning or a gas leak, and the BGSU Police Department sends the messages.
All active students are automatically enrolled in the system and when AlertBG is implemented, they will receive:
- A text message – as long as their cell phone number (not home number) is provided in their MyBGSU account.
- An email sent to their BGSU account.
If you are interested in receiving AlertBG notifications, your student has the option to add one additional cell phone number and email address.
- To do this, students need to log in to MyBGSU.
- Click on the “AlertBG” tab at the top of the Welcome page.
- On the “AlertBG” page, add a secondary email address and mobile number.
- Your student will also have the option to add an “opt-out” date. We recommend using a date after their anticipated graduation date.
If you would like to learn more about this system, additional information can be found on the AlertBG website.